final drive seals

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
LwesB
Zip Code: 03221

final drive seals

Postby LwesB » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:10 am

Okay here's my dumb question. Replacing the seals in my final drive, old part # 42177-d all chewed up. Only resembles the replacement part #abc1503 from Steiner in that they're both seals. Is it just that the new seal is of a different and simplified design or am I missing pieces? Okay thanks.

Doodle
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 47923
Tractors Owned: International, Case IH
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: final drive seals

Postby Doodle » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:32 am

Just replaced that seal yesterday myself. Got mine from TM and it fit just fine. The old seal may be different in appearance than the new style but the size I received was correct.

Doodle
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 47923
Tractors Owned: International, Case IH

Postby Doodle » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:38 am

TM differential shaft pinion seal. Part no. DF044 for $10.42
Number 9 in Cub parts catalog.

LwesB

Postby LwesB » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:20 pm

Ta very much doodle that was the answer I was hoping for. Just didn't want to foul up such a seeming simple thing.

Dale Finch
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '55 Cub "Bertha"
'55 Cub "Ben"
'56 Cub "Boris"
'48 Super A "Bubba"

Postby Dale Finch » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:33 pm

In addition to those final seals, you might consider replacing the differential seals and O-rings as well, #'1 & 7 below. And check your brakes. Better now than pulling them off again later! Have fun! :-D

Sailor
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 42261
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
Ser.# 16812

Postby Sailor » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:54 pm

Thanks for that info Dale, I am in the process of working from the finals inward and I thought I had everything I needed. I had better look, again, at the pile of gaskets/seals I have on my bench because I don't think I bought those two.

Not to steal a thread, but I have the back off the tranny and was spinning the left axle, checking the teeth on the gears...no problems until I tried to spin the right axle.... it will not move. :shock:

During the process of taking off the wheels/tires everything was fine, both axles spun with no drag. The only thing I have done is I pulled the PTO shaft out when I removed the back plate. Before I put everything back together to see if that is the cause, can anybody think of another cause?

Thanks,
Larry
1948 Cub
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-54 Leveling & Grading Blade
Cub-144 Cultivator
Cub-189 Moldboard Plow (direct-Connected, One Bottom, Two-way)
Woods 59 Mower

LwesB

Postby LwesB » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:15 am

Thanks for the advice Dale, although I'd already taken it before you gave it. Only trouble being I mangled the shims,(3 thru 6 on the diagram), while removing the retainer (2). C'est la vie and any advice on not lousing up the other side?
Ta
LwesB

Scrivet
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:51 pm

Sailor wrote:.....During the process of taking off the wheels/tires everything was fine, both axles spun with no drag. The only thing I have done is I pulled the PTO shaft out when I removed the back plate. Before I put everything back together to see if that is the cause, can anybody think of another cause?......
Removing the PTO shaft is not going to keep you from turning the axle, unless the shift collar (or the set screw) came loose and is wedged in the differential. Is the right final still on? Maybe the right brake pedal was accidentally depressed and locked?

Sailor
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Ser.# 16812

Postby Sailor » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:15 am

100_0785.JPG
Scrivet wrote:
Sailor wrote:.....During the process of taking off the wheels/tires everything was fine, both axles spun with no drag. The only thing I have done is I pulled the PTO shaft out when I removed the back plate. Before I put everything back together to see if that is the cause, can anybody think of another cause?......
Removing the PTO shaft is not going to keep you from turning the axle, unless the shift collar (or the set screw) came loose and is wedged in the differential. Is the right final still on? Maybe the right brake pedal was accidentally depressed and locked?

I believe I found my problem. Looking into the axle shaft cut-out I can see a build up of field mouse nesting material that is soaked in transmission fluid. It is so compacted that it required dislodging the material with a long screwdriver.

The final and axle tube are still installed but they will be coming off this week. I have to inspect the brakes pads because of possible fluid saturation and I'm going to replace all the seals in the transmission. The attached photo shows you were I'm at in this rebuild.
1948 Cub
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-144 Cultivator
Woods 59 Mower

Dale Finch
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '55 Cub "Bertha"
'55 Cub "Ben"
'56 Cub "Boris"
'48 Super A "Bubba"

Postby Dale Finch » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:38 am

You can replace the brake lining with material from someone like McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/#brake-lining/=wnvv6v) Check earlier postings.

IF the linings are OK but only saturated with oil, you can burn it off with a torch...just set them on fire and let it go until they are clean. Works great.

Maybe this earlier post will help:
http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=78436&hilit=+final+removal+for+brake+replacement

Sailor
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Ser.# 16812

Postby Sailor » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:36 am

Dale Finch wrote:IF the linings are OK but only saturated with oil, you can burn it off with a torch...just set them on fire and let it go until they are clean. Works great.

The friction material used on my brakes was bonded on instead of using rivets. I'm concerned about using heat or some type of liquid cleaner that might disturb the adhesive. Since there is very little wear on the material, I'm going to try going over it gently and then make sure the material is still bonding well before I put it back together.

Thanks for the advice.

Larry
1948 Cub
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-144 Cultivator
Woods 59 Mower