My Mowing Yellow Cub

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BIGHOSS
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog

and a Palomino Mare named GIGI
Circle of Safety: Y

My Mowing Yellow Cub

Postby BIGHOSS » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:35 pm

Steve, JR and I had a mini fest today at my shop. You may remember that back in the winter we had a discussion on here about my PTO pulley. It had an 8" pulley which we all agreed that it was too big making the mower turn too fast. Because the blades turned at a faster RPM, the tractor bogged down easily when cutting tall grass. The experts on here concluded that the Woods 59 mower only needed a 6" pulley.

So now it has a 6" pulley, Petronix ignition and Steve Koons sharpened and balanced blades. Mows like a champ now. Cut some 6" fescue today with good results. It will still bog down if you cut the grass really short. But at a reasonable height, it moves right along.

All the way around, I have pleased with the performance.

Edit to add that we also rebuilt one spindle. Runs super quiet now.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give......Winston Churchill

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
52 F-Cub
49 F-Cub

Re: My Mowing Yellow Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:00 pm

Sounds like you had a GREAT time. Makes me wish I was there. Missed it by a day or two. Our son and I are going to be going thru the Volunteer state Friday.

Bill
"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Stanton
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1945 Farmall H, serial #213,651
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:15 pm

Glad to read you had success with your Cub and mower, 'cause now would be the time to get it right (since mowing season is upon you). Sounds like you had some good help. :coffee:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

stalkcutter
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 37143

Postby stalkcutter » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:26 pm

You had two good IH Men on it with you....Steve And JR....and just in time to cut grass. GREAT!
Stalkcutter.
Chapter 9 TN Circle of Safety

Papa's Cub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 31553
Tractors Owned: 1966 Int'l Cub w/mower 2005 Farm-Trac, 7ft Harrows, 1976 Int'l Cub Woods 59-C-2 Turn Plow w/Depth Full set of cultivators, Harrows and complete Planter & Fertilizer unit

Postby Papa's Cub » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:10 pm

BigHoss, Glad you got your mowing cub tuned-up and ready to go to work. Just curious, how much did it cost to rebuild the spindle. Are the bearings and seals available at the local auto-parts store? I ask because my woods 59 is so loud when I'm mowing I can't hear myself think. The spindles don't seem to run exceptionally hot nor is there exceptional play in them. I've never heard of balancing the blades, but, I suppose that would eliminate most of the vibration. How is this done? Many thanks, Tom.
If you always do what you've always done -- you'll always get what you've always got!

knucklebuster
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 71968

Postby knucklebuster » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:24 pm

I love a working cub. Looks like a good one.
BILL

BIGHOSS
10+ Years
10+ Years
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Postby BIGHOSS » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:54 pm

Rebuilding the spindle assembly is pretty straight forward with a few challenges. If you can pack or replace the wheel bearings on a trailer, you can do this. Same design as tapered trailer type bearings and seals for each end of spindle. But instead of a castle nut to hold the bearings in place, a sleeve and drive pin is used. Therein lies the problem. The drive pin drives out pretty easy with the correct size punch. The sleeve is another matter. Probably was designed to be a press fit, but due to rust and corrosion, it does not want to come off. Had to go to a local machine shop to press it off. Was still a struggle even with this 20 ton press. But it came off with a loud BANG!

The standard seals and bearings were bought at local auto parts store for about $30, as I recall. The trick is when driving the sleeve back down on the shaft, the hole for the drive pin has to align with the spindle shaft, but we did it. When installing a new spindle and sleeve, the hole for drive pin is drilled in place. No concern then about aligning holes.
Worked out great. Much better than $150 for a new spindle assembly.

As for balancing the blades, Steve Koons (steve-n-tn) has some sort of super duper tools that does this. He can come on here and tell us about his toys. :{_}: :{_}: :{_}:
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give......Winston Churchill

BIGHOSS
10+ Years
10+ Years
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Postby BIGHOSS » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:01 pm

By the way, PDF files at top of page has the breakdown of the spindle assembly.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
52 F-Cub
49 F-Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:55 pm

BIGHOSS wrote:... Therein lies the problem. ... The trick is when driving the sleeve back down on the shaft, the hole for the drive pin has to align with the spindle shaft, but we did it.

The one I did, I found that the hole was not centered on the shaft. So, the sleeve only goes on only one way. It presented a challenge until I discovered the problem. I would suggest that you determine the orientation of the hole and pin before removing the sleeve. You might even want to scribe some locating marks to assist in reassembly.

Bill
"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Papa's Cub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 31553
Tractors Owned: 1966 Int'l Cub w/mower 2005 Farm-Trac, 7ft Harrows, 1976 Int'l Cub Woods 59-C-2 Turn Plow w/Depth Full set of cultivators, Harrows and complete Planter & Fertilizer unit

Postby Papa's Cub » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:23 am

Thanks for the info. That's the way to go if one has access to the right tools and equipment. I recently purchased new blades and plan to install them in a day or two, even though the current blades look to have several hours of mowing left in them. I don't get up and down as easy as I used to, so, I'm thinking one of the blades is probably warped. Maybe new blades will quieten it up a bit. Thanks, Tom.
If you always do what you've always done -- you'll always get what you've always got!