Two Questions

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
coralhead
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 47119
Tractors Owned: '53 Ferguson TO-30
'64 Massey Ferguson 135
'93 Kubota B7100

Two Questions

Postby coralhead » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:29 pm

I am working on the cub and have a few questions.

1) How is the carb return spring attached to the tractor. It is now currently connected at the throttle plate and the other end is attached to a wire wrapped around the governor rod bracket behind my finger.

DSCN3175.JPG

2) I am replacing the cork gaskets on the final drive covers. What can I expect to find when I remove it. Is there oil in the cover that lubricates the internal bearings/gears? If so how much is there suppose to be and is it put in the lower upon replacing the cover?

DSCN3176.JPG

Thanks, John

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Two Questions

Postby Glen » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:48 pm

Hi,
IH used no spring and wire there at the carburetor, someone added it, I would guess. Take it off and see how it runs, it should run and work normally without it.
The rear final drives should have 80W-90 gear oil in the pans, it should be about 1 inch above the level of the pans. They need an oil change after years of use. There is a filler plug in the casting between the 5/8 inch implement holes. It usually uses a square ratchet drive to remove it. Clean out the dirt from the square hole, they usually have dirt in them, then the square drive will go in the plug.
The plug is between the rear holes on the left side, and between the front holes on the right side. Fill them until the oil is up to the filler plug hole.
Newer Cubs used Hy-Tran fluid in the gear cases too, the book says.
Here is a page from a Cub owner's manual showing the plug. It is number 34 in the pic. Click on the pic makes it bigger. :)

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... age-65.jpg
Last edited by Glen on Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:55 pm

The throttle return spring is a jury rig. I wonder if you have a broken governor spring.
parts manuals are essential for seeing the way things are supposed to be.
http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/index.php?dirpath=./files/Tractor%20Parts%20Manuals&order=0

The pan is filled with oil. Either 90W or Hytran depending upon the previous owner. There is a fill plug with a square drive on the inside of the final casting. Owner's manual heplful here for the lube chart. Later ones have updated recommendations for lubes. http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/index.php?dirpath=./files/Cub%20Owners%20and%20Operators%20Manuals&order=0

download both above in pdf manuals.

Note: When IH changed their recommendations on lubes, like Hytran, it was after Hytran was developed and the newer recommendations applied to all tractors- backward compatible. That is why I recommend a manual that comes close to your year for details on wiring and switches, and later ones for updated specs.

dgrapes59
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub
2-1955 Loboy w FH
a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, CC Narrow Frames- 70 & 100's, 71, Couple 102's & 122's, 72, 124, 73, various CC options & implements #1 & 2 Trailers, 1963 Springfield, JD 770

Postby dgrapes59 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:04 pm

Before putting the covers back on, make sure the surfaces are flat and not distorted, they often get over tightened.

Good luck,
David

coralhead
Cub Star
Cub Star
'64 Massey Ferguson 135
'93 Kubota B7100

Postby coralhead » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:18 pm

So it sounds like I definitely need to have an oil pan under the drive when I pull the pans. I am wondering if the spring is on the carb to take up any slack that may be in the throttle linkage. I'll check tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:23 pm

dgrapes59 wrote:Before putting the covers back on, make sure the surfaces are flat and not distorted, they often get over tightened.

Good luck,

Good advice. The holes are usually dimpled inward from over-tightening.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:26 pm

As has been mentioned, the spring does not belong there. The only spring originally on that system is the one that connects at the governor end of the cross engine rod. Most likely the shaft and key where the cross rod enters the fitting for the arm where the big spring connects is worn and the spring was installed to keep the carb from revving up and down. I am referring to the play being where item 6 is located on this diagram.

If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Dale Finch
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '55 Cub "Bertha"
'55 Cub "Ben"
'55 Cub "Bailey"
'56 Cub "Boris"
'48 Super A "Bubba"

Postby Dale Finch » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:34 pm

I can't tell from your photos, but make sure you have wedges on both sides between the steering gear housing and the front axle...these guys may look harmless, but they do have a tendency to tip over when you remove a rear wheel, if not wedged. If you have questions about this, you can do a search or ask. Be carefulif!

coralhead
Cub Star
Cub Star
'64 Massey Ferguson 135
'93 Kubota B7100

Postby coralhead » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:17 am

[quote="John *.?-!.* cub owner"]As has been mentioned, the spring does not belong there. The only spring originally on that system is the one that connects at the governor end of the cross engine rod. Most likely the shaft and key where the cross rod enters the fitting for the arm where the big spring connects is worn and the spring was installed to keep the carb from revving up and down. I am referring to the play being where item 6 is located on this diagram.

I believe that may be the case. Worn key, no problem, worn keyway is a different story. Thanks.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:15 am

You can use a little shim stock, JB Weld, or even drill a hole and put in a roll pin right through the shaft to tighten up that connection.