Hood is misaligned with top of dogleg

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
lyle11
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 44236
Tractors Owned: 48 FCub
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Re: Hood is misaligned with top of dogleg

Postby lyle11 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:27 pm

All good points. Radiator sides definitely reversed. Hood looks manged some by the headlight posts. What is and will remain a mystery is that is looks to me like a PO encountered an issue where the hood didn't line up and decided to move the hood supports. And, it would seem like the welding of the hood supports probably warped the sheet metal in that area and created the uneven look near the headlight posts. But it is no use beating a dead horse about what and why the PO did what he did. The conclusion seems to be that I need a new hood so I just had a couple more things:

- Based on Barnyard's measurements, it looks like my radiator is the correct height. Can anybody see any reason why I shouldn't install the radiator? I would like to get the tractor running with a pony tank.

- Someone commented about determining the year of my Lowboy and the differences between a hood with the 3 ridges and a flat sided hood. Other than looks and the exhaust hole, is there any reason any style of rounded front hood is not interchangeable? My preference is to get a flat sided hood like I have with no exhaust hole. But, in the event I don't find one I am trying to determine if any rounded front style will fit. I mow about 5 acres at my farm up in Wisconsin with my regular Cub and will probably go with an underslung exhaust regardless since it would be nice for getting under the closeline and trees.

Thanks again. Guess I will start looking for a hood.

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Rob in NH » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:39 pm

why not try lowering the hood, file the holes in the mounting brackets. its really a simple fix.

lyle11
Cub Star
Cub Star
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Postby lyle11 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:08 pm

Rob, The top of the hood hits the radiator before the dogleg holes line up with the corresponding holes in the hood so the hood can't go any lower. That is why I asked someone to doublecheck that my radiator is not too tall. Barnyard confirmed his is the same height as my radiator.
Maybe I can find somebody to sell me a dogleg stretcher.
Thanks

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub

Postby Rob in NH » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:19 pm

didn't realize the top of the hood was damaged too.

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:30 pm

lyle11 wrote:Thanks again. Guess I will start looking for a hood.

I have a '57 hood I bought several years ago from Ralph's Cubs. It was for a project that probably won't happen. :roll: It is the type and style you need. Think about it and so will I.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty"
FH Woods 42F, 54A blade, 194 plow, FH L-38 disk, FH Lo-Boy disk, FH platform carrier
Circle of Safety

brewzalot
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 53105
Tractors Owned: '57 cub Loboy
'61 cub

Postby brewzalot » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:08 pm

Little late getting in on this, but I have the exact same issue on my 61 hood. I think this is what is going on- If you look at the factory welded seam in the middle of the hood you can see the two halves are bent down at this joint. This would cause the angle that you see at the top of the dog legs. Its like if you supported the ends of the hood and then someone sat on the hood in the middle and bent it downward. That joint is a long way from the doglegs so it doesn't have to bend much to create that uneven gap. There must be a way to fix it- I just haven't come up with it yet.

lyle11
Cub Star
Cub Star
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Postby lyle11 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:50 pm

Brewsalot,

I think my hood has multiple issues and that is one of them. This is what I see. Hood is level at tank. Then it takes an upward slant on the hood.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hard to see but gap were hood joins tank is wider on the sides.
image.jpg
Attachments
image.jpg

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:06 am

A local metal shop may have a brake that can easily form new, longer, dog legs. Just a thought.
I have an excuse. CRS.

lyle11
Cub Star
Cub Star
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Postby lyle11 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:42 am

Eugene, Thanks. That is an option to look into. I think I have 2 main problems. #1 -The slight separation of the factory tank/hood weld on the sides that leads to the hood gradually inclining as you move forward. This is why I believe my air cleaner barely protrudes through the opening. But, this would make you think there would also be extra clearance above the radiator, but I have just the opposite. The hood is contacting the radiator just before the dogleg holes line up. I think problem #2 is that the front of the hood got distorted at the very front by the moving and welding of the radiator brackets. It is rounded a little more on one corner. Hard to see. I think my best option is a new hood. But, there may be people on this forum with the skills to fix this one.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:25 pm

All you need to do is cut the hood lengthwise and weld in a 1/2 ribbon all the way around. A 100 hours of beating, shrinking, sanding, priming, painting, buffing and adding new decals and you are back in business. Simple. You're welcome. :-:-): :lol:

lyle11
Cub Star
Cub Star
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Postby lyle11 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:23 pm

Don't forget the cussing when I put it back and on after all that work and find out that it still doesn't fit. I have resigned myself to the fact that I need to replace the hood. This is actually a pretty nice looking hood and I cleaned the tank and redcoted it over the winter. I am now mostly curious to someday see if I can get it to a Cubfest and have someone with sheetmetal skills take it and see if it is fixable. I don't want to trash it, but I don't want it sitting in my garage for the next 10 years either.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:09 pm

It is a strange case for sure. The front of the hood can be separated from the tank by drilling out the spot welds. It would be nice to try a hood first before you do anything else. I think welding the doglegs was an act of desperation by the previous owner and it sounds like you are approaching the same cliff! Time for: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Arthur Luke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74022
Tractors Owned: 8 F Cubs, 7 Lo-Boys, 2 # LoBoys, 1 CC, 1 H, 1 other

Postby Arthur Luke » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:48 pm

Looks to me like the hood has been cut and a different front or back part has been welded on, causing the misalignment.
download/file.php?id=18649&t=1
Have a good day, Art Image
Circle of Safety

lyle11
Cub Star
Cub Star
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Postby lyle11 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:46 pm

This subject is pretty much exhausted, but there is no evidence that any work was ever done where the hood and tank meet. Here are a couple of photos.
image.jpg

image.jpg