Final drive oil change, found no oil just ball bearings

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jake61
Zip Code: 58501
Tractors Owned: 1961 Farmall cub

1944 Farmall M

Ford 9N

Re: Final drive oil change, found no oil just ball bearings

Postby Jake61 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:59 pm

The part of shaft that the drum sits on looks pretty good and the drum fits tight on it. I took the shaft to someone with a press, and will have them press the new bearings on, but they don't have any idea how to get this old bearing off, and charge by the hour if I wanted them to try, so I thought I'd try for myself.
I tried welding the 3 nuts on it, and it didn't budge. I couldn't keep the shaft from turning while trying to wrench the bolt on the puller, so i thought I'd use an impact wrench and that broke my puller, it was a cheap one so no loss. I will try using the grinder method sometime this weekend, and if that dose not work, or I happen to damage it I will add a shaft to my order. I plan on going with TM for the bearings and seals, and see that they have used shafts for $40. I have been holding off on ordering until I know what I need to avoid paying shipping twice.
Thanks again for the help.
Oh, I am now in the process of looking for a pressure washer, I should have got one before I started the project. Anybody have any idea how much psi and gallons per minute it takes to clean old grease off? I don't want to buy more than I need, and don't want to buy something too cheap just to find out it does not get the job done.

knucklebuster
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 71968

Postby knucklebuster » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:31 pm

Cut it almost all the through with a cutoff wheel on a dremmel, then split it with a chisel.
BILL

Jake61

1944 Farmall M

Ford 9N

Postby Jake61 » Sat May 16, 2015 8:27 pm

Just giving an update, I got the cub put back together and running again. I would like to thank everyone for the help, it would have taken me much longer to figure it out on my own.

The only problem now is my 5 year old daughter claimed the cub as her's. She comes running when she hears it start, and wants a ride.
Attachments
DSCN5065 (640x480).jpg
DSCN5058 (640x480).jpg
DSCN5067 (480x640).jpg
DSCN5066 (480x640).jpg

Dale Finch
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '55 Cub "Bertha"
'55 Cub "Ben"
'55 Cub "Bailey"
'56 Cub "Boris"
'48 Super A "Bubba"
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Dale Finch » Sat May 16, 2015 8:31 pm

Great looking Cub AND daughter. So did you let her help with the repairs? I used to love working on things with my father...great memories!!

Jake61

1944 Farmall M

Ford 9N

Postby Jake61 » Sat May 16, 2015 8:42 pm

Dale Finch wrote:Great looking Cub AND daughter. So did you let her help with the repairs? I used to love working on things with my father...great memories!!

Thanks
She didn't help much, she was more of a pain asking "how much longer"