Extending Front Axle

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
LeeC
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 22150
Tractors Owned: 2 1962 LoBoys
1 1964 LoBoy
1 1965 LoBoy
1 1966 LoBoy
Circle of Safety: Y

Extending Front Axle

Postby LeeC » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:58 pm

I am going to mount a Woods 42 on one of my LoBoys. The manual says there needs to be two holes showing on the right side axle extension for the right wheel to clear the mower deck and there is only one showing now. It took a minute for me to realize why they call out the right side (the tractor is offset to the left, of course). In the short term, I will just turn the front wheel around (dish out). In the long term, I want to widen the axle spacing. Anyway, I want to try replacing the pin in the axle tube with a small diameter bolt and drive the tractor around to see if that loosens up the axle extension (as has been suggested in previous posts). The pin is 1/2-inch in diameter. I searched previous posts and only found one bolt diameter suggestion and it was 1/4-inch, which does not seem substantial enough. Any suggestion on what bolt diameter to use? Does 7/16-inch sound right? Has anyone actually had success using this method? --Lee
Circle of Safety

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Re: Extending Front Axle

Postby bob in CT » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:18 pm

If it moves at all, even a 32nd of an inch, you are way ahead of the game. 7/16" or 3/8" should be fine. I have had pretty good luck with mine, others had to pull out all the stops to get them to budge.

billsfarmallcub
Zip Code: 29650
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub

Postby billsfarmallcub » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:12 pm

May I ask a question about extending axles? Do I have to replace tie rod to make it work?

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:15 pm

The tie rods are adjustable also.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein