This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

pre paint

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jimpt
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 33597

pre paint

Postby jimpt » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:42 pm

I have a 1950 cub that needs new paint> what is the best way to clean the grease off? or what is the normal solvent for this? (maybe someone can tell me what they have done in the past before painting? thanksjt

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: pre paint

Postby Bill V in Md » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:33 pm

I think you are going to find that a combination of methods are required, depending on the part to be prepared. I completely disassembled my cub and some of the larger metal parts like fenders, wheels and gas tank were sand blasted. Parts that have seals, such as transmission housings were cleaned with an angle grinder using a cup brush. Still others I used a spray-on chemical cleaner called Aircraft Paint Remover.
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

PVF1799
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12009
eBay ID: kepara
Tractors Owned: 1929 Farmall Regular #T111250 (Original Owner)
1942 Farmall M #55654
1948 Farmall Cub #21005
1955 Farmall Cub #190769
1961 Cub Cadet #16509
1975 Cub Cadet 1250H
197x IH 990 Haybine
1994 JD 5320 Diesel
Attachments: Woods 42F Fast Hitch, L38 Disc Fast Hitch, F11 Plow Fast Hitch, Land Plow, Snow Plow, Grader Blade, Planter w/Fertilizer, Cultivators, Hilling Disks, Sickle Bar Mower(2), IH 7' Sickle Bar Mower, Flail Mower and 5' International Belly Mower.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: pre paint

Postby PVF1799 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:22 pm

Bill V in Md wrote:I think you are going to find that a combination of methods are required, depending on the part to be prepared. I completely disassembled my cub and some of the larger metal parts like fenders, wheels and gas tank were sand blasted. Parts that have seals, such as transmission housings were cleaned with an angle grinder using a cup brush. Still others I used a spray-on chemical cleaner called Aircraft Paint Remover.

Bill - I conqur. When I did Rex'48 over (see link in signature). I used wire wheel on bench-grinder, sandblasting cabinet, wet sand blaster with my pressure washer, die grinder w/3M abrasive pads, elbow grease. For the torque tube I used aircraft paint remover. Don't forget to build yourself an electroysis tank. I had a 5 gallon version and one big enough to hold the final drives. You can find plans on this forum.

Hope this helps - Ken

Return to “Farmall Cub”