This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Water in the tranny and other fluid musings

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Arthur Dent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62828
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub
1960 Cub Lo Boy slope modified
1942 Farmall H
1945 Farmall H
2002 NH TC25D

Water in the tranny and other fluid musings

Postby Arthur Dent » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:43 pm

This weekend I started changing the fluids in dad's LoBoy highway mower. Gosh, it sure needed it!
I drained more than a gallon (or so it seemed) of milky watery "crud" out of the transmission. Let it drain for a few hours then filled to the proper level with HyTran. I'll run it for a while then do it again a time or two, hopefully get all that water out of there eventually. Dad always kept it in the barn out of the rain, and I have kept it in the barn too, no telling how it was treated before that though.
I was going to check the oil in the finals, thought I knew where the plugs were from looking at the drawings in the manuals, but haven't found them yet. :roll:
The Touch Control fluid is low, I drained out just enough fluid to get a look at, it's bright red. What would that be? Can I just top this off with HyTran and let them mix, or do I need to drain this out and replace it?
Oil change went without a hitch.
I still have to do the de-speeders, ran out of time.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Water in the tranny and other fluid musings

Postby Barnyard » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:01 pm

Arthur, Next time you flush it use about 3 1/2 pints of fuel oil and drive it for about five minutes or so and then drain that and refill with hy-tran. That will clean it good enough so you won't have to do multiple flushes with your hy-tran.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH

Postby SundaySailor » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:24 pm

"The Touch Control fluid is low, I drained out just enough fluid to get a look at, it's bright red. What would that be?"

Sounds a lot like automotive style automatic transmission fluid.

Can you smell it? Is it rotten/putrid smelling? Hytran doesn't smell all that bad. ATF does even when it is fairly new.
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

Arthur Dent
10+ Years
10+ Years
1942 Farmall H
1945 Farmall H
2002 NH TC25D

Postby Arthur Dent » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:06 pm

Now that you mention it, it did look like ATF, I couldn't place it at the time. I couldn't smell it, my nose was full of that nasty gear oil smell from the stuff in the transmission. I guess I should drain that out and not mix the HyTran with it?

Arthur Dent
10+ Years
10+ Years
1942 Farmall H
1945 Farmall H
2002 NH TC25D

Postby Arthur Dent » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:23 pm

Barnyard wrote:Arthur, Next time you flush it use about 3 1/2 pints of fuel oil and drive it for about five minutes or so and then drain that and refill with hy-tran. That will clean it good enough so you won't have to do multiple flushes with your hy-tran.

I'll try that, thanks.

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH

Postby SundaySailor » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:37 am

Arthur Dent wrote:Now that you mention it, it did look like ATF, I couldn't place it at the time. I couldn't smell it, my nose was full of that nasty gear oil smell from the stuff in the transmission. I guess I should drain that out and not mix the HyTran with it?

I wouldn't think you would want to mix both types of fluids. It may not hurt, but why take the chance? I know I remember reading on a number of websites where people are opting to use ATF in hydrostatic transmissions, and even here in the touch control of Cubs.

The ATF must be good, otherwise why would it have been made and have so many uses?

Hytran is supposed to help keep out moisture which is great for Cubs. IH knew what they were doing and it's obvious.

Good luck with your Cub. I get a great big smile every chance I get to ride on mine. :wink:
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:05 am

Arthur Dent wrote:I was going to check the oil in the finals, thought I knew where the plugs were from looking at the drawings in the manuals, but haven't found them yet

It is a 3/4 in pipe plug kind of hidden behind the draw bar bracket.

1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Arthur Dent
10+ Years
10+ Years
1942 Farmall H
1945 Farmall H
2002 NH TC25D

Postby Arthur Dent » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:13 am

Ah, now I get it. So on my "stretch" model LoBoy, the left plug would be hidden behind the fender mount (photo below). I seem to remember reading that the finals are mirrored, so the right one would be "up" too, yes? If it was "down" it wouldn't hold much oil.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:41 pm

Hi,
The level plugs on a LoBoy are usually seen from the rear of the tractor, but I guess your housings face the other direction, so try looking from the front, just ahead of the final drive, but I'm not sure, I've not seen a Cub like yours in person.
Mike posted info for a regular Cub, the plugs are not between the implement holes on a LoBoy.
Here is a pic from TM Tractor showing a LoBoy final drive and the plug. Hope you can figure it out from the picture. :)
Attachments
Cub Loboy 4.jpg

Arthur Dent
10+ Years
10+ Years
1942 Farmall H
1945 Farmall H
2002 NH TC25D

Postby Arthur Dent » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:46 pm

Glen wrote:I've not seen a Cub like yours in person.

I get that a lot. Funny thing is that this is the first Cub I ever saw, and the only one I have any experience with, that makes things like this a little frustrating.
Thanks for that photo. I'll look there the next time I get her out of the barn. It makes a lot more sense for the plug to be there in the Lo Boys than any of the other places.

Return to “Farmall Cub”