'47 cub generator question

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Farmallguy44
Zip Code: 43310
Tractors Owned: '47 Cub
'44 M
Circle of Safety: Y

'47 cub generator question

Postby Farmallguy44 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:03 am

Hello All!!
I'm working on my generator on my cub, mag with external coil and what looks like a three wire regulator saddle mounted on genny. my question is with post is which in the generator? i can't find a tag or label and there's a lot of rust on it. It has a delco tag on the side but it is completely worn. By looking on the wiring diagrams here (thanks btw) It looks like the A terminal is on the left if you are sitting in the seat. Once I figure this out I can polarize it and get to see if it works. Question 2, one terminal is rusty and I can't loosen the nut with it wanting to turn the stud. any ideas on freeing this? I have all the other contacts cleaned and this is the last one.
and finally question #3 My starter does not work, it starts fine with hand crank. I installed a new switch and cleaned the battery ground. If I understand correctly the starter grounds to the frame, so the area where it bolts to tractor should be clean and shiny also, correct? Battery is good and I also used the one off my "M" because I know it's a good batt. When I pull the lever it will maybe go a half turn and stop. then nothing. Everything is free inside. Starter shot? Thanks in advance for any help. and sorry for all the questions.

Forgot to add that I went through all wiring and connections and they are good.

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Re: '47 cub generator question

Postby staninlowerAL » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:00 pm

monog6318 wrote:Hello All!!
I'm working on my generator on my cub, mag with external coil and what looks like a three wire regulator saddle mounted on genny. my question is with post is which in the generator? i can't find a tag or label and there's a lot of rust on it. It has a delco tag on the side but it is completely worn. By looking on the wiring diagrams here (thanks btw) It looks like the A terminal is on the left if you are sitting in the seat. Once I figure this out I can polarize it and get to see if it works. Question 2, one terminal is rusty and I can't loosen the nut with it wanting to turn the stud. any ideas on freeing this? I have all the other contacts cleaned and this is the last one.
and finally question #3 My starter does not work, it starts fine with hand crank. I installed a new switch and cleaned the battery ground. If I understand correctly the starter grounds to the frame, so the area where it bolts to tractor should be clean and shiny also, correct? Battery is good and I also used the one off my "M" because I know it's a good batt. When I pull the lever it will maybe go a half turn and stop. then nothing. Everything is free inside. Starter shot? Thanks in advance for any help. and sorry for all the questions.

Forgot to add that I went through all wiring and connections and they are good.

I'll take a shot at your questions in the order that you listed them.
1. Sounds like you have a cutout rather than a regulator. Someone posted details reciently, maybe you can do a search to find it or look in the service manuals at the top of the page to see how it works.
2. Rusty terminals/screws: Soak the threads with something like KROL or PB BLASTER for a few days then try to hold the blade part with the threads with locking pliars. If you can grip the screw head with locking pliars they work better than a screwdriver.
3. Starter issue: The description sounds like a pos ground system and it might be that the ground cable is not making good contact somewhere. Dirty/rusty contact surfaces will act as insulator. The ground for the starter is via the chassis/frame of the tractor so everything needs to be shiny bright clean. Try moving the ground from the battery post to a bolt on the chassis like the transmission cover. Make sure the other battery lead is clean at the battery and if the terminal connections are bolt on type, take them apart and clean them all as well. The starter switch on the starter might need taking apart and cleaning because the brass/copper contact surfaces get burned over time and will not allow sufficient current to pass to make the starter turn. If all this does not help, it's time to remove the starter and have a look inside. Could be a dirty communtator, bad brushes, bad wire, bendix problem, much of which a shop will have to repair or overhaul unless you are comfortable to try to troubleshoot and repair it. Good luck. Stan

Farmallguy44
'44 M

Postby Farmallguy44 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:38 pm

okay, after a bit of reading and running out to the barn and back a few times, it is a cut-out and the post has pb blaster on it I'll wait till Saturday and try it. I'll redo the ground tomorrow and see how that works. Thanks for the help and I'll update when i get some results.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri May 01, 2015 9:36 am

There should be a nut under the lug that holds it to the insulator. it takes a pretty thin wrench on the terminal to get hold of it if the lug is still on the top of the generator post.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Fri May 01, 2015 4:28 pm

It wouldn't hurt to run a jumper cable to the starter, just to check the cable. Some folks have had cables replaced with standard cable for a 12v system. You need a whopper of a cable for 6V since the amperage is doubled and the length of the cable only makes it worse. If the cable gets warm when you try to crank the starter, that is a telltale of high resistance.

Farmallguy44
'44 M

Postby Farmallguy44 » Fri May 01, 2015 8:49 pm

Well, i got the nut freed off the post of the generator with no problems I'll run my test this weekend and see whats going on. As for the starter i cleaned up the the positive cable and ran it to the chassis then other projects sidelined me. both batt cables are 2/0. I may try pull the starter this weekend and do a ground test with jumpers. Thanks again for all the help everyone I really appreciate it!! I have a set of cultivators that came with the purchase that i finally dug out of the neighbors barn so hopefully I'll have pics of those soon :-)