Finally splitting a cub, chain on engine?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
knucklebuster
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 71968

Finally splitting a cub, chain on engine?

Postby knucklebuster » Mon May 04, 2015 9:06 pm

For the first time, I have to split a cub (clutch set and rear seal). I made some splitting stands for the torque tube and have it all ready to unbolt and split. I'll be using an engine hoist on the motor and pulling the engine/front end away as a unit.

I want to bolt a short piece of chain to the engine; one end of the chain towards the front of the engine, and one end of the chain towards the back of engine.

Where is the best place to pull a bolt and attach the chain? I sure would like to pull a couple of head bolts, but I'm afraid of breaking them. Do you think I can get head bolts out successfully?

Or...

Should I consider another way to lift on the engine?

I know...I'm probably over thinking it, but I'd rather avoid expensive/time consuming/dangerous mistakes.
BILL

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Finally splitting a cub, chain on engine?

Postby staninlowerAL » Mon May 04, 2015 9:10 pm

Remember the engine will pivot on the front axle pin when you remove the bolts. Be prepared to stabilize it before splitting.

knucklebuster
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby knucklebuster » Mon May 04, 2015 9:18 pm

staninlowerAL wrote:Remember the engine will pivot on the front axle pin when you remove the bolts. Be prepared to stabilize it before splitting.

Yes, thanks Stan. I already have the oak wedges for the front axle too.

Stability is definitely a concern for me too when considering where to attach the chain
BILL

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
52 F-Cub
49 F-Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon May 04, 2015 9:18 pm

No matter how you lift/support the engine ---- wedge the front end to prevent tipping. Many people simply use a lifting strap/chain placed around the engine near the rear. A pair of splitting stands with caster wheels and height adjusting capability really simplify the process. The "How to" forum has several threads relative splitting a Cub. If this is your first time to split a Cub, spend some time reviewing those threads. You will find a lot of useful information there.

Good luck.

Bill
"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

knucklebuster
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby knucklebuster » Mon May 04, 2015 9:31 pm

Bill Hudson wrote:No matter how you lift/support the engine ---- wedge the front end to prevent tipping. Many people simply use a lifting strap/chain placed around the engine near the rear. A pair of splitting stands with caster wheels and height adjusting capability really simplify the process. The "How to" forum has several threads relative splitting a Cub. If this is your first time to split a Cub, spend some time reviewing those threads. You will find a lot of useful information there.

Good luck.

Bill

Thanks Bill. I have read every thread I could locate in the "how-to's" on splitting and splitting stands, but I'll check again to see if I missed anything about lifting or attaching points. I also have oak wedges for the front axle.

I have to remove the oil pan too, so I do not believe a strap under the engine is an option, correct?
Last edited by knucklebuster on Mon May 04, 2015 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BILL

Spuds Buddy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Spuds Buddy » Mon May 04, 2015 9:46 pm

Bill, I live in Russellville Arkansas I have a good pair of splitting stands made out of trailer tongue dollies that I will be glad to loan you if that will help.

knucklebuster
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby knucklebuster » Mon May 04, 2015 9:58 pm

Spuds Buddy wrote:Bill, I live in Russellville Arkansas I have a good pair of splitting stands made out of trailer tongue dollies that I will be glad to loan you if that will help.

I appreciate that, very much! I think I have the stands covered though. I spent a couple of afternoons making up a decent stand. But, I just may take you up on that offer if it does not work out.
BILL

Gator809
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 70791

Postby Gator809 » Tue May 05, 2015 1:45 am

I would use the starter mounting bolts to mount the rear of the chain, they're pretty beefy.

Hank
"Tiger" 1974 International Cub
"Littl' Smokey" 104 Cub Cadet
"Red Light" 1952 Farmall Cub with 151 disc plow
"Lucky" 1970 International 140

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue May 05, 2015 12:57 pm

Bill, if you are not intending to remove the oil pan while it is on the hoist, simply use a couple of ratchet straps. one near the front and one near the rear to remove it. I have a leveler I use with mine that really works well.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Larry in WNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Larry in WNY » Tue May 05, 2015 7:40 pm

You could install 5/8" I-Bolts on each side using implement attaching points and run the chain thru them.
Larry

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue May 05, 2015 8:58 pm

Larry in WNY wrote:You could install 5/8" I-Bolts on each side using implement attaching points and run the chain thru them.
Larry
I believe he is only lifting the engine, not the torque tube.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

knucklebuster
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby knucklebuster » Tue May 05, 2015 9:16 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:
Larry in WNY wrote:You could install 5/8" I-Bolts on each side using implement attaching points and run the chain thru them.
Larry
I believe he is only lifting the engine, not the torque tube.

John, thanks for the tips. Larry, John is correct, I am planning on lifting the engine and moving it forward with an engine hoist. Gator, thanks a bunch, I will attach one end to a starter bolt.
BILL

pickerandsinger
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
1950 Ferguson TO20 w/ loader (John Henry)
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Wed May 06, 2015 5:01 am

I use a 6 foot nylon strap…( Horror Freight ) and I have a modified trailer jack stand (mine is a top operated with the handle removed and a socket taking its place permanently, to raise and lower its) that I bolt to the starter holes with a wheel on it….Of course the wedges…Just got a gantry though :{_}: so I have to amend some things…. :D
In Memory of 58,286