This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rear wheel leak/rust?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
HarveyCub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 21163
Tractors Owned: '66 IH Cub Lo Boy (Harvey)

Rear wheel leak/rust?

Postby HarveyCub » Wed May 06, 2015 1:57 pm

Hello all,

I seemed to have developed a nagging little problem recently with one of my rear wheels on my '66 Lo Boy. This is my first tractor and I've not had it a year, so everytime I visit the board, it's something brand new to me. Over the winter, I used the tractor for plowing quite a bit. After the last snow had gone, I noticed that one of the rear wheels seemed under inflated. I have some sort of liquid ballast in there (don't know exactly what, it was there when i bought it), so I got the tires to have the valve in the 12 o'clock position and added some air to the tires. This was all done by site as I have no idea what pressure I would be looking for on the gauge (first time I've ever worked with ballast filled tires). Everything seemed fine, and actually still does, with regard to inflation. The only oddity is now the left rear tire seems to leave a small puddle under the tractor (see attached image). Clean it up and it will come back by the next day.

As I noted, the tires still seem properly inflated and nothing burst or comes out other than a trickle. I don't believe that it is the valve itself, but perhaps something with the rim. Has anyone seen anything like this before? It only started after topping off the tires, so either something was a bit weak or I made a booboo.

Thanks,
HC
Attachments
HarveyTireLeakSmall.jpeg
Back side of left rear wheel.
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." Yogi Berra

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Clip
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 28479
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Rear wheel leak/rust?

Postby Clip » Wed May 06, 2015 2:20 pm

Possible it's calcium chloride and will be extremely corrosive to the wheel now that the tube is punctured. I let one go in our 57 and am now looking at having to replace the rim.

knucklebuster
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71968

Postby knucklebuster » Wed May 06, 2015 2:34 pm

Fix that leak ASAP. It's probably calcium chloride and it will ruin the rim. Regardless of who does the work( you or the tire shop), make sure the rim and the inside of the tire get cleaned really well before re-mounting.

Until it's fixed, don't park near any vegetation you don't want to die.
BILL

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed May 06, 2015 2:34 pm

Drain the Calcium Chloride (it kills grass and pets) and dispose of it. Take the tire off and check the rim, especially around the rim, for damage. Get a new tube and remount.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed May 06, 2015 3:36 pm

Drain the fluid from both rims. Clean up the rims and tires, new tubes.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Arthur Dent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62828
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub
1960 Cub Lo Boy slope modified
1942 Farmall H
1945 Farmall H
2002 NH TC25D

Postby Arthur Dent » Wed May 06, 2015 4:26 pm

Echo all the above. We had to replace both rims on our H because of this stuff. Not cheap!

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Wed May 06, 2015 5:00 pm

it could be just the valve is bad which is replaceable with out breaking down the tire

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sun May 10, 2015 12:43 pm

Tire pressure with or without fluid is the same. Make sure you have the valve at 12 o'clock (like you mentioned) when you check it. Not wanting to start the debate but this is reason #1 why I like wheel weights, they don't leak. :D

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun May 10, 2015 1:45 pm

tst wrote:it could be just the valve is bad which is replaceable with out breaking down the tire
In the photo the leak appears to be on the inside of the rim and there is considerable rust.

Break down the tire and clean up the rim.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Sun May 10, 2015 4:39 pm

If it was mine, I would first determine where it is leaking. Calcium chloride does deteriorate the valve core and the housing for the core. On some tubes, replacing just those parts will restore the tube for some additional time. The rim is damaged and will continue to rust until it is cleaned up, perhaps welded up and ground to shape. Or it can be used until it really fails and must be replaced.
The fitting might be like this http://www.31inc.com/products/details/1596

If the tube is leaking inside the rim, removal and repair or replacement is necessary.

A number of choices for action do exist.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Return to “Farmall Cub”