Testing for Charge at Cutout

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Stanton
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1945 Farmall H, serial #213,651
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

Testing for Charge at Cutout

Postby Stanton » Fri May 08, 2015 9:26 am

This is a 6V generator with cutout.

By removing the wire at the BAT cutout and putting your multimeter leads on it and ground, shouldn't you get a reading of 7V+ while the engine is running?
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Testing for Charge at Cutout

Postby Jim Becker » Fri May 08, 2015 10:08 am

I wouldn't recommend that particular test. It might crank out 30 or 40 volts and could burn out the generator.

Gerry Powell
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 78736
Tractors Owned: two 1948 Cubs
1951 Super A
Kubota L2350

Postby Gerry Powell » Fri May 08, 2015 10:39 am

that is what you should read running with the battery connected. Measure the voltage with the tractor not running, when running it will increase if charging. With the battery disconnected, no charging current can be delivered to the battery and the operation of the cutout can't be determined.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri May 08, 2015 1:04 pm

I have done that test just as an experiment and with the light switch set on LO charge, and engine at about 1/3 speed I got about 36 volts, though I only ran it very briefly that way since I did not want to risk damaging generator. Most digital meters will give very erratic readings connected directly to the generator though, you need an analog (pointer type) meter. As Jim stated, it can damage your generator. If you have the same voltage at both the battery and generator terminals when running, your generator is charging (though you will not know how much), since it is voltage from the generator that pulls the cutout relay closed. That is of course, unless the relay is stuck, in which case you will also have voltage at generator when NOT running.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!