oil leaking out the inspection hole.

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dieselrider
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16656
Tractors Owned: 1977 Cub 184 Lowboy
1979 John Deere 2640
2013 Kubota L3800 TLB
1949 International Cub

oil leaking out the inspection hole.

Postby Dieselrider » Sat May 09, 2015 2:57 pm

I finally got to run the 49 cub a bit today to cultivate some potato rows. By the time I was done, I noticed some oil leaking out the inspection hole. Looks like it might be time for a rear main seal or maybe a transmission seal. How can I tell? I am hoping to wait till cooler weather but, we'll see how bad it gets.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
52 F-Cub
49 F-Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: oil leaking out the inspection hole.

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat May 09, 2015 3:41 pm

If oil is leaking out the inspection hole in the bell housing, the most probable cause is a leaking transmission seal. A sure way to tell is to remove the inspection hole cover, then (this is a two-person job, one to drive and one to watch the inspection hole) back up a short sharp grade and stop on the grade. Observe the inspection hole and you should see a rather strong leak out the hole. Due to the shape of the torque tube, a puddle of leaked oil forms between the transmission and the inspection hole. By backing up the grade you are in effect draining the puddle. A rear main seal leak shows up at the bottom of the bell housing.

Hope this helps.

Bill
"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Scrivet
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sat May 09, 2015 9:03 pm

My opinion is it's a whole lot easier for transmission oil to run out that hole than engine oil. My next opinion is that it's time to check the fluid level in your transmission. It most likely is overfull. It most likely has some water in it raising the level of the oil. Both things are simple to verify. Level plug on the side of transmission for overfull, drain plug slowly screwed out for the water after it has set for awhile, (water will come out first).

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat May 09, 2015 10:53 pm

Most of the time oil out the hand hole cover is transmission, and out the flywheel inspection cover is engine oil, but not always as I learned a couple weeks ago.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=88254
The oil was coming out the hand hold cover, but when I pulled the cover I could tell by the consistency it was engine oil, not transmission oil, plus when I reached my hand toward the rear in the torque tube it was dry. The flywheel inspection cover fit snug enough that there was only a very rare drop of oil coming from there, it was building up in the torque tube and finally dripping out the hand hole cover. My starter was very well lubricated from the ring gear slinging oil up into it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Dieselrider
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16656
Tractors Owned: 1977 Cub 184 Lowboy
1979 John Deere 2640
2013 Kubota L3800 TLB
1949 International Cub

Postby Dieselrider » Sun May 10, 2015 6:59 am

I don't think there is water in the tranny as I changed that oil out here a couple months ago and it has set inside since then. However, I could possibly have it over full. I will take a closer look at it.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun May 10, 2015 9:13 am

Dieselrider wrote:....... However, I could possibly have it over full. I will take a closer look at it.
3 1/2 pints is the capacity. There is a level plug low on the left side of the tranny. Normally if it is overfull it will be leaking out the seals at the differential shafts and drip out the drain holes under the break bands. The main shaft bearings are lubricated by the gears slinging oil into the top of the transmission case where a channel directs the oil to a pocket around each bearing. If the front seal is bad the oil in the pocket will seep out around it and accumulate in the torque tube till enough builds up to run toward the front and the hand hole, or until you drive forward down a slope and it runs forward. I have owned cubs for nearly 30 years, plus helping neighbors and friends maintain theirs. Only one guess how I learned things like this. :lol:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!