This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub puffs exhaust but wont Idle

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
chesapeakeiron
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 21085

Cub puffs exhaust but wont Idle

Postby chesapeakeiron » Thu May 14, 2015 2:50 pm

Hi everyone - I have been lurking for a while but this is my first post. I am at the point it with my Cub that I have it all wired up correctly (after converting it to 12 volt, and I have fire to all of my plugs. The problem that I am having is that the cub will crank, it will puff smoke, but I cannot get it to turn on or idle. The governor tension spring is loose....so I think it has something to do with that. has anyone had an issue like this?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub puffs exhaust but wont Idle

Postby Bigdog » Thu May 14, 2015 3:35 pm

Check the position of your plug wires. Sounds like they are on the wrong towers on the cap or you are way out of time.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu May 14, 2015 3:36 pm

Welcome to the Forum. Double check to make sure you have your plug wires in the right order (1-3-4-2). Did you adjust the rod that connects the carburetor throttle shaft to the governor linkage across the front?

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

chesapeakeiron
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby chesapeakeiron » Thu May 14, 2015 3:40 pm

Ok - Ill double check the wires first. I think I set them up based on the diagram in the manual, but I could have gotten one messed up. No, I have not adjusted the rod the connects to carb throttle shaft to the gov linkage

chesapeakeiron
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby chesapeakeiron » Fri May 15, 2015 7:14 am

OK - I checked all of the wires and verified that the gov and linkage are all good to go....so I think its a timing issue. Can anyone suggest a link, or another conversation on this forum that explains how to time a cub with a distributor?

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Fri May 15, 2015 12:00 pm

Here is Trent M's method, which is the one I use:

Place the #1 piston at TDC on compression stroke (pointer lined up with notch on the pulley, second notch if there are 2). Loosen distributor so you can turn it. Set multimeter to test for continuity, i.e., resistance (ohms or greek omega symbol on the meter). I like mine because there is an audible tone when you have continuity so I don't have to look at it. Put positive lead from multimeter on the outside connection of the distributor that goes to the coil and the negative lead to ground. I just find a place on the frame where I get good ground. Turn the distributor back and forth to find the exact spot where the points break, i.e., continuity is broken, the tone stops. Bingo, you are in time. Although I have done it by myself, I find it helps to have an extra set of hands. You are dealing with the meter, 2 leads, and turning the distributor all at the same time.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

chesapeakeiron
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby chesapeakeiron » Fri May 15, 2015 1:17 pm

Ok great Thank you!!! I will use this method...ill report back with what happens....Thanks to everyone for being so helpful

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri May 15, 2015 7:00 pm

Hi,
After you get the engine to run, the Cub Service Manual says to set the timing with a timing light. Here is a page from it below, showing the marks, it only has some description on the right, not step by step instructions. Cubs before the mid 1950's had 1 timing mark. They are talking about something from the page before, in paragraph 10. Click on the pic makes it bigger. :)

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/gss- ... 001-43.jpg

Return to “Farmall Cub”