seeking tachometer for 78 cub

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rick 48 cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

seeking tachometer for 78 cub

Postby rick 48 cub » Fri May 29, 2015 4:46 pm

Hi All,

I thought it would be fun to add a tachometer to my 1978 international cub just to make sure that I am not caught driving over the speed limit.

On the later versions of the Cub, was a rotating shaft in a cable used to get the signal to the Meter, or was it totally electric? If it was a rotating shaft, how do I find out if my tractor has the hookup on the distributor for that connection?

Original equipment would be great, original looking equipment would be good, or any tach would be better than nothing. Do you have any suggestions as to types of tach I could get and where to find them?

Rick 1948 cub

10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: seeking tachometer for 78 cub

Postby bythepond88 » Fri May 29, 2015 4:56 pm

I'm not sure how to tell if yours has the tach drive, but I can tell you that OEM tachs are rare, and sell for several hundred dollars when they do go on the market.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: seeking tachometer for 78 cub

Postby Glen » Fri May 29, 2015 7:27 pm

Here is some info about the Cub tachometer. I have one on my Cub that I put on it when IH still made them. I like it, the hour meter is handy, you can see when to grease the tractor, and do service work.
There is only one style in the parts book, they are run by a cable from the Battery Ignition Unit. Every Cub with a Battery Ignition Unit serial number 192113 and above was supposed to have the place to drive it. It is covered with a little flat plate held on with 2 screws.
It is important that the drive cable go in the right routing, since it is only long enough to go one way. It is a cable like a car speedometer had in the past, so they say no sharp bends, it has to go around gradual curves.
I have seen the tachometer head new on e-bay, I guess they are reproductions, I don't know how good they are.
Case IH might still have some of the parts for it, they had the cable a few years ago, I think I asked them.
It's easier to put the drive on the Battery Ignition Unit if you remove it from the engine, the little screw closer to the engine is really hard to reach with the drive in the unit, unless you take the unit off, my opinion.
Be sure to grease the parts like it shows in the book when putting it together.
Here are pages from Cub manuals showing it. Hope this helps, click on the pics makes them bigger. :) ... age-04.jpg ... age-42.jpg ... 011-02.jpg