This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Help Identify my Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bromanco
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 75792

Help Identify my Cub

Postby bromanco » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:58 am

I recently inherited a very rusty used Cub from my uncle and I cant figure out what model or year it is. I've looked all over it and can only find casting numbers. How do i identify It? Any help would be appreciated. :lost:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Help Identify my Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:28 am

Match it up with the pictures here:
http://www.atis.net/CubFAQ/cub_faq.html#q13
If you still aren't sure, post pictures of your tractor and we can help identify it.

stevey30
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28110

Postby stevey30 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:35 am

You can ID it by the casting #'s if they all match,there will be a letter in the casting date which tells the year it was built,I think there is a link on the forum here

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:12 pm

Hi,
Cubs originally had a plate with the serial number, and an engine serial number stamped on the engine. Here is a page from a Cub owner's manual showing where the numbers are.
Sometimes people paint over the plate, so the words can't be seen. If it is there, you might be able to see the number with a light, it is stamped into the plate. There might also be a 1600 or 1800 stamped in, that is the engine maximum speed RPM's. The serial number is above that number. Click on the pic makes it bigger. :)

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... age-02.jpg

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:40 am

Castings have multiple numbers: A part number and a casting date code at least, and sometimes other numbers.

What you're looking for in the casting date code is something that looks like a month/day/year format, with a single letter for the year instead of a number. Unfortunately these date codes are not always cast in clearly, and they're not always visible on all parts.

The "match" mentioned earlier is only for the year portion of the date code, and even then that's not 100%. Some parts could be cast in November/December 1950 and some in January/February 1951 of the next year on the same tractor, and still be 100% factory original. In this case the tractor would be considered a 1951 model year because castings can't travel back in time, LOL...

Of course it gets complicated if parts were replaced. If you find that most of the parts were cast in 1950, and you find one part from 1957 for example, that does not make the whole tractor a 1957 model.

Keep in mind the casting date is not the assembly date. There was usually a period of a few months between casting and assembly, due to the parts needing to be machined, then shipped to the assembly line. So a tractor built with parts dated in November/December of 1950, for example, is most likely a 1951 model.

In a nutshell, the code starts with "Q" in 1947, and goes up one letter per year after that. The exception is 1950, where T, U, and V were used. In 1955 they started over with "A".

If the number you find is a 6-digit number followed by an "R" and another number, it is a part number.

There is also a large number on the right side of the torque tube that looks kind of like a date code, but it is a red herring as far as dating the tractor goes.

Return to “Farmall Cub”