This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

PROBLEM: Pegged oil pressure,getting hot, new overhaul

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
JayJay
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 74072

Re: PROBLEM: Pegged oil pressure,getting hot, new overhaul

Postby JayJay » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:57 am

I will purchase a new gauge that reads higher and visit the local antique shop and look again for a candy thermometer that I have seen or my local hardware store and see what I come up with. A little concerned about operating it very long without being sure what is wrong. Thanks for the suggestions and as you see I am sure trying each step. yes it was a total rebuild with bore new pistons gapped rings gauged inserts, but I have made mistakes before and sure I will make some again so please keep coming with the suggestions and I will keep trying till we get a solution...Thanks again.....JayJay

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby bob in CT » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:56 pm

Block was boiled, but I wonder how well it was flushed? Crud settles at the top of the cylinders and creates hot spots- must a common problem as the service manual has detailed drawings as to where the material accumulates. I removed the side water neck and rather than making a wand like the service manual suggests, I just shoved my pressure washer up in the opening and directed it around and an amazing amount of crud was ejected.

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:01 pm

I always soak my own blocks then pressure wash myself to be sure it is clean. After machine shop work I do it again along with every part to the engine. Most machine shops that boil and or steam blocks make certain they are clean. :sold:
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

JayJay
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 74072

Postby JayJay » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:16 pm

The rescue crew showed up today and I was sure glad to see them, and they promptly began exploring new and old ideas. Put on higher pressure gauge and found that it topped out at not quite 50 pounds oil pressure. Engine turned over reasonable easy with a hand crank. Confirmed that prv may have sticking as they have seen that before. Water circulation was good and probed engine with candy thermometer and hand held lazer for heat spots. Art then laid hands on it. Grandson then took it out for an evaluation and proclaimed he was happy. Let's not mention that I let it run out of gas not once but twice during our evaluation!!! I am not sure what was the fix but I think ganging up on it sure helped and I sure want to thank John, Art, and Mike for all their help!! You sure made one boy happy. Kinda tickled me too. Thanks again! JayJay