This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

tach and hyd info needed

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
drice
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19021
Tractors Owned: 1968 lowboy 1978 f cub and lots of cub cadets
Circle of Safety: Y

tach and hyd info needed

Postby drice » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:35 pm

first is it easer to switch the whole dist instead of taking out the drive.im working on two twelve volt tractors one a 68 and one a 78.and one tractor has the control valve leaking on the hyd block can u take that apart on the tractor or does it have to come off the tractor.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Re: tach and hyd info needed

Postby Glen » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:34 pm

Hi,
I've had a Tachometer on my Cub for years. My opinion is that you need to take the Battery Ignition Unit off anyway to get the drive out. On my Cub, the little screw toward the engine is too hard to get at without taking the unit off the engine.
I would leave the original Battery Ignition Unit on each tractor. My opinion.
Here is a page from a Cub owner's manual showing the drive. It should be greased it like it says in the info.
Also here are some pics of the original cable routing. It should go like they show. Look closely, the pics aren't real clear.
Click on the pics makes them bigger.
The control valve, I've read on here that it comes out without taking the Touch Control unit off the tractor. There is 1 o-ring that seals it, I think. :)

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... age-42.jpg

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... age-04.jpg

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... age-26.jpg

drice
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby drice » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:11 pm

thanks glen I thougt it might bee possible but I wasn't sure

drice
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby drice » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:10 am

I tried to switch the tach drive yesterday and when I removed the cover plate on the 78 there was no hole in the casting to put the tach drive in.i wonder why they put a cover plate on when the casting had no hole in it.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:20 am

Glen wrote:Hi,
...... On my Cub, the little screw toward the engine is too hard to get at without taking the unit off the engine.

I have seen lots of distributors with the rear clamping bolt either loose or missing due to the bolts being hard to get too, but Napa sells "Half Moon" wrenches in various sizes. The online price shows $15 to $19 each, but our local NAPA has tools on sale every other month. I think I gave $7 for the 1/2-7/16 one and $9 for the 9/16-5/8 one. Many places sell them as starter/manifold wrenches. These are Carlyle brand, but were sold by NAPA
2015-07-04.jpg
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

drice
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby drice » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:31 am

it was a slotted screw in there u can get to it all right with out the tach drive there it just makes me think why would they drill and tap screws and put and cover on it if there is no hole in the casting to put the tach drive in there.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:46 pm

Hi,
Happy 4th of July.

John, thanks for the info about the wrenches. We were talking about the 2 little screws that hold the tachometer drive into the casting. They have small screw heads.
The bolts that hold the distributor base have 1/2 inch hex heads. It looks like the curved wrenches would work good.

drice, I don't know, I've never seen one like that, could be a mistake from when it was made, that there's no hole in the casting, or could be how they made them intentionally.
Maybe someone with a 1978 or 1979 Cub has looked under the plate on theirs and would comment.
I guess you will have to put the Battery Ignition Unit with the hole for the drive on whichever tractor you want the tachometer on.
I was talking before about the screw closest to the engine is hard to get at if the drive is in the hole, and the retainer plate is there with the 2 screws in it. If it's just the plate over the hole, without any drive in the hole, then the 2 screws are easy to get at. :)

drice
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby drice » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:54 am

glen I was thinking about switching the whole dist,then I thought about the timing is going to change on both of them.i dont want to screw up the timing on them so I put the dist back in the low boy till I get it figured out.the dist housings are made a little different the 78 has a aluminum base the other is cast they look very close but I better just leave them alone for now thanks for your help

Return to “Farmall Cub”