Pulling Starter Rod Gives Off No Sound And Cub Doesn't Start

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BruceVanDev
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1954 Farmall Cub
Twitter ID: BruceVanDev

Pulling Starter Rod Gives Off No Sound And Cub Doesn't Start

Postby BruceVanDev » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:46 pm

Hey Folks,

I have a 1954 Cub that was given to me by my father in may for my birthday, and I've been working on it with the help of the forum since before then. Now, I just recently replaced many gaskets and and the oil and oil filter (last time it was changed, according to a receipt from a local small engine repair shop, was in 1998) so that was a little overdue... after I got all the parts back in their place, I fueled her up and charged the battery, turned her over and she started and sounded beautiful! I made sure to checked the oil pressure gauge and all that before shutting her down. but just for kicks and giggles I wanted to hear her pur again, except this time, I went to pull the starter rod and a few of those distinct first clicks and then... nothing. absolutely nothing. So I am calling on you guys and gals to help me through this little predicament. I checked the ammeter, and it is responding to me pulling the rod, but :lost:

Thanks in advance, Bruce

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Pulling Starter Rod Gives Off No Sound And Cub Doesn't S

Postby staninlowerAL » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:53 pm

First guess is faulty or dirty contacts inside the starter switch or poor/dirty connections at the battery and/or ground. All these contacts/connections need to be shiny bright clean. You will have to remove and disassemble the starter switch to check the contact surfaces on the posts that are on the inside. Stan

randallc
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.

Postby randallc » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:29 am

Welcome to the forum from Arkansas. StaininlowerAL has given you a heads up on the most basic problem and exactly where I would start looking. A good ground then the starter switch. Lots of information on this forum and it is a good place to spend a little time when working on a cub.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

hurleyjd
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 75497

Postby hurleyjd » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:48 am

BruceVanDev wrote:Hey Folks,

I have a 1954 Cub that was given to me by my father in may for my birthday, and I've been working on it with the help of the forum since before then. Now, I just recently replaced many gaskets and and the oil and oil filter (last time it was changed, according to a receipt from a local small engine repair shop, was in 1998) so that was a little overdue... after I got all the parts back in their place, I fueled her up and charged the battery, turned her over and she started and sounded beautiful! I made sure to checked the oil pressure gauge and all that before shutting her down. but just for kicks and giggles I wanted to hear her pur again, except this time, I went to pull the starter rod and a few of those distinct first clicks and then... nothing. absolutely nothing. So I am calling on you guys and gals to help me through this little predicament. I checked the ammeter, and it is responding to me pulling the rod, but :lost:

Thanks in advance, Bruce

You might check the battery it may have crapped out. You might need to make sure it is charged and then try it. Only way to really check the battery is to check it with a load meter. Might have to take it to a battery place to do that.

raystractors
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 37058
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub, 1952 Cub, 1970 Cub, 1975 Cub, 1953 Cub, 1939 A, 1948 super A, 1952 super A, 1950 C demonstrator, 1952 Super C, 1949 H, 1956 farmall 300, 1957 international 350, 1963 Massey Ferguson 35

Postby raystractors » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:45 am

If you have a hand crank, then I would turn the engine over to see if you may have a stuck starter. If like you said, your ammeter shows a discharge when you engage the starter it sounds like your connections are good, but still a place to look first. welcome to the forum.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:14 am

If you have the pull rod, the starter should not be connected through the ammeter, and it should make no difference on meter when you pull the rod. The meter normally moves a little when you turn the switch on if you have a battery ignition rather than a straight magneto.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

65kaiser
Zip Code: 30536

Postby 65kaiser » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:59 pm

I am going thru the exact same scenario. Cub ran fine, went to have lunch came back and nothing. Checked all connections removed starter switch cleaned the connections, still nothing. Pulled starter, disassembled, cleaned, reassembled and bench tested by putting power to the connection on the starter without the starter switch mounted. Starter worked fine. reinstalled the started switch and remounted the starter. Pulled the rod.... Nothing WTF. Yes, the battery is fine. Do these started switches go bad? they seem very simple.

65kaiser

Postby 65kaiser » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:06 pm

I guess my next step is to remove the starter switch and put the battery lead directly to the connection on the starter and see if it works.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:17 pm

65kaiser wrote:Do these starter switches go bad?
Yes. Auto parts store, they are inexpensive.

Look inside the switch. Sometimes all that is required is to polish up the contact.
I have an excuse. CRS.

65kaiser

Postby 65kaiser » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:22 pm

That was the first thing I did. I'll check for a new one.

Dale Finch
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '55 Cub "Bertha"
'55 Cub "Ben"
'55 Cub "Bailey"
'56 Cub "Boris"
'48 Super A "Bubba"

Postby Dale Finch » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:53 am

Anything new to report?

While you had the starter off, did you clean up the mating faces of the block and starter where they must make good ground connection? Does the starter make ANY noise?

I finally replaced the switch on one of mine, because I just couldn't get to one of the copper "buttons" inside the switch where it had made a groove from contact/arcing. They really are not expensive. But before you install one, make sure the stud on the starter is filed smooth...remove any groove in it so the new switch has a good surface to make contact.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes, because this is a common problem. Nice to hear more solutions.

DickB
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 01026
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:17 am

When this "pull starter = nothing" scenario happens here, it is time to pop connectors off the battery, brighten them all up, get them back on tight, and VOILA! baroom baroom it starts up.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:55 am

Use the crank or turn fan blade and make sure you can turn the engine by hand. On these old rigs it is not unusual for the starter drive to jam in the flywheel ring gear and prevent the engine from turning. If that is the case, the easiest way to clear it is to loosen the 2 starter bolts a round or so then try turning the engine a little.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

65kaiser

Postby 65kaiser » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:45 am

Update: I replaced the starter switch on the starter and she fired right up!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:15 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:If you have the pull rod, the starter should not be connected through the ammeter, and it should make no difference on meter when you pull the rod. The meter normally moves a little when you turn the switch on if you have a battery ignition rather than a straight magneto.

If you have battery ignition, the ammeter normally shows a little discharge when the switch is turned on. When you pull the starter rod, if the switch contacts but the engine doesn't turn over, the ammeter needle will move back towards zero because the battery voltage pulls down. This is not a particularly telling symptom, but often suggests the battery is bad (or poor cable connection). It is about the same as turning on the headlights then trying to turn the engine over and see if the lights dim.