Odd Vibration/Sound - Need Some Wisdom Bestowed Upon Me!

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
andersonbc
Zip Code: 64089

Odd Vibration/Sound - Need Some Wisdom Bestowed Upon Me!

Postby andersonbc » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:03 pm

Recently did a bunch of work on my 1957 Farmall Cub Lo-Boy (points, condenser, fan & belts, coil, valve adjustment, etc). When I got everything back together I noticed I had a rather noisy sound/vibration at about 3/4 throttle. Initially I thought it was the alternator vibrating against the block (there was only 1/8 inch of separation), but after ruling that out (by removing both belts) I discovered that I could make the sound go away almost entirely by removing the gas cap! If I cover the gas cap with my hands the noise comes back... if I cover the 3/4 of the gas cap hole I can make the sound/vibration come back (and it slowly ramps up as I cover the hole). Taking the tank off entirely seems to also make the sound go away. BTW, the tank is about half full of gas.

Needless to say I am a bit confused... I can't decided if the vibration is completely unrelated, and some sort of hydraulic effect is occurring inside the tank (due to vibration elsewhere), or if the tank is my problem somehow.

Any thoughts gentlemen? Thanks in advance for your time. :)
1957 Farmall Cub Lo-Boy

brewzalot
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 53105
Tractors Owned: '57 cub Loboy
'61 cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Odd Vibration/Sound - Need Some Wisdom Bestowed Upon Me!

Postby brewzalot » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:05 pm

This is a long shot but I noticed driving around with my hood off that my new radiator gets a vibration going around 3/4 throttle. Although you didn't state you worked on anything with yours, if it were vibrating , it could be transferring up through the hood and gas tank?

Tim

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:44 am

Tim's comment brings a thought to mind. Is the front of the hood/tank properly attached at the front? There should be a small bracket welded inside the front corners of the hood. Each is bolted to the radiator side supports with a single cap screw. These are often broken loose or missing. If so, the hood is supported by the dog legs or rests on top of the radiator. That might be the source of your noise.

Look here:
http://www.tmtractor.com/new/fl/827fp.htm

andersonbc
Zip Code: 64089

Postby andersonbc » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:16 am

Thank you for your replies. I have the tank off now, when I get home I will take a look at how rigid the radiator is mounted, and the attachment points on the hood. I will let you know what I find. Thanks again.
1957 Farmall Cub Lo-Boy