Agri Supply Shanks vs Restoration

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
PVF1799
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 12009
eBay ID: kepara
Skype Name: ken.rau.57
Tractors Owned: 1929 Farmall Regular (Original Owner)
1942 Farmall M #55654
1948 Farmall Cub #21005
1955 Farmall Cub #190769
1961 Cub Cadet #16509
1975 Cub Cadet 1250H
197x IH 990 Haybine
1994 JD 5320 Diesel
Attachments: Woods 42F Fast Hitch, L38 Disc Fast Hitch, F11 Plow Fast Hitch, Land Plow, Snow Plow, Grader Blade, Planter w/Fertilizer, Cultivators, Hilling Disks, Sickle Bar Mower(2), IH 7' Sickle Bar Mower, Flail Mower and 5' International Belly Mower.
Circle of Safety: Y

Agri Supply Shanks vs Restoration

Postby PVF1799 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:43 pm

I ended up getting all the shanks I needed (Short, Intermediate and Long) on eBay for an average price of $35 each w/shipping. Now that seems reasonable enough - except that I've spent most of today - getting the trip mechanisms and the adjusting bolts turning. I love restoring the old IH steel so I can keep Rex'48 as pure as possible, but these shanks that I restored may be the last - given that I can purchase new ones from Agri Supply for $49 each.

These would be ones I would properly lubricate and store indoors. I really cannot believe the abuse, lack of maintenance and lubrication these units have endured. I'm sure the Agri Supply Shanks are made in China or some PacRim country, but.......there is just so much time available to restore things.

If you've used Agri Supply Shanks I'd like to hear from you - especially if you've used original equipment shanks also so you can compare.
Ken
Pleasant View Farm - Est. 1799
My Restoration Project - FCUB '48 - Rex

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "The Paperweight"
Cub powered IH 52R combine
Grandfather's 1948 Super A
White demo Super A-"Ol Whitey"
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
Buncha other junk

Re: Agri Supply Shanks vs Restoration

Postby Super A » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:48 pm

They're a little bit better than nothing. I had two long ones on the back of the Cub. I broke the adjustment on one the first time I tried to use it. The other one is still going strong, but the quality is definitely lacking compared to the IH. They work ok for occasional garden use.
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

Wagon19
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 24352
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub "Jersey"
Ferguson TO 20
1952 Cub "Jenny"
1951 Cub. "Wilkes"
2014 Kubota L3200 HST

Postby Wagon19 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:02 am

Ken, I have hillier disk and shanks from agri supply which I purchased a few years ago. They are better than nothing and will get the job done. The adjustments on the shanks have not worked out well. After many adjustments to the trip mechanism,
They still trip moving through the well conditioned soil. Last year I made a trip to Burlington, NC to pick up some shanks found on eBay. The guy has hundreds of shanks stored in enclosed trailers along with every cultivator part. He is proud of his parts, but they are original. Cultivating my garden now with the original article, much better result.

smallfarm
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45504

Postby smallfarm » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:47 pm

We tried the Agri Supply shanks a few years ago. They were realllllly nice about taking them all back -- including the ones that broke in the first hour or so of use. They admitted to having a "production quality problem" and said that the shanks were "reworked." All I know is that the rivets holding the shanks to the trip mechanism were not centered on the shaft. If I remember right, the bottom one was almost to the edge of the metal. We had several bend/ break at that rivet.
You just CAN NOT beat the quality of OLD US manufacturing.
Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.