This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

paint

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jimpt
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 33597

paint

Postby jimpt » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:23 am

I have masked everything, will someone tell me what should not be painted in the engine compartment(dist cap, wires etc ) is there anything else I am forgetting? also do you have the dimensions of the hood extensions ??thanks guys

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

NJ Farmer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08876
Tractors Owned: 1953 F-Cub
1957 F-Cub
1956 Lo-Boy
1971 Cub Cadet 149
1976 Cub Cadet 1200
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: paint

Postby NJ Farmer » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:28 pm

I wouldn't bother painting the carburetor since paint never seems to stay on. Painting any part of a Cub is like "dealers" choice because it your eye that is going to see it all the time and you may like some items in different colors.
Personally I like the starters painted black. Why black I have no Idea but I like the starter painted black like it came off a 53 Chevrolet. So unless your showing in the next tractor show it your call. I would suggest a higher temperature paint on the Exhaust/ Intake manifold but eventually the heat will burn off the paint on the exhaust side.

NJ Farmer

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:21 pm

When new they sprayed it all, I believe the metal starter tag may have been the only thing masked off. As mentioned, I wouldn't paint the carb or any wiring you can avoid, it becomes a matter of personal preference. If you unhook/remove wiring, be sure to have bright, shiny contacts (no paint) when you hook it back up. :wink:

Good luck,
David

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:33 pm

dgrapes59 wrote:When new they sprayed it all, I believe the metal starter tag may have been the only thing masked off.

Ammeter face, oil pressure gauge face, generator tag, light lenses

Photo courtesy Wisconsin Historical Society
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:16 pm

Don McCombs wrote:
dgrapes59 wrote:When new they sprayed it all, I believe the metal starter tag may have been the only thing masked off.

Ammeter face, oil pressure gauge face, generator tag, light lenses

Generator, starter and serial tags. Connectors at ends of wires, entire magneto or distributor cap, gauge face(s). Fuel strainer. Steering wheel rim, seat cushion. Some of those items were installed after the tractor was painted and kept the finish they already had, including rear rims, probably the steering wheel, seat.

Later on, some parts were painted before installation so they could have 2 colors (e.g. grille, hood/tank, deluxe seat frame, rear wheel disks).

Return to “Farmall Cub”