This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Losing power uphill - fuel related

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
marshall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01012
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub

Losing power uphill - fuel related

Postby marshall » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:45 pm

Hi:

1950 Cub. This year I noticed that the tractor would run ok but then it would start having blips of power loss going up hill. It would regain power on flats and downhill. The tank was low so I thought it was maybe that it couldn't get gas at a certain angle even though I'd never experienced problems like this before (it used to die when the tank was dry - uphill/downhill didn't matter).I Its gotten worse and now I can run on a full tank for about an hour and the problem develops where its conking out up hills. When I check the gas tank its about 3/4 full. So its a fuel thing right? Maybe some gas sat in it over the winter and now my carb is gunked up? Pump? Filter? Can anyone give me some steps to diagnose and fix?
Not sure where any of these parts are and how I would test.

Thanks always for any help

Dave

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

marshall
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Losing power uphill - fuel related UPDATED

Postby marshall » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:19 pm

I just cleaned the gas out of the fuel bowl and found quite a bit of powdery debris. I ran it for a few minutes and climbed some steep hills and everything seemed to be fine...
But that was just a quick test.

I went out the next day and tried mowing (sickle bar) and after 5 minutes, it was conking out on the uphills again. Each time I restart it and then have about 30 seconds of power to drive it into a more level position so that I can try to drive back to the barn following a relatively level path. So cleaning the gas out of the fuel bowl wasn't the solution.
The gas tank is about 3/4 full when this stuff is happening.
Last edited by marshall on Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Losing power uphill - fuel related

Postby Bill Hudson » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:48 pm

Marshall,

I use Seafoam in all the gas that I put in my Cubs, Cub Cadets and 2-cycle lawn/landscaping tools. Some of these set for a long time between startings and I've had no problem with fuel degradation.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:50 pm

In my opinion as well as many other members along with many small engine manufacturers recommend the carburator be run as dry as possible for long term non-use. I have found that a healthy dose of SEAFOAM in the fuel as well as the oil will help clean things up the fuel system along with the rings. If that does not eleminate the problem then cleaning the sediment bowl and screen as well as the carb may be the next step. This assumes there is no inline fuel filter. At any rate, sounds like it is fuel related. Stan

EDIT: Mr. Bill types faster than I do and is not as long-winded!! :wink:
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:53 pm

Doesn't really sound like the same thing but I was losing power uphill with the sickle mower, then whenever going up hill. The choke was vibrating shut. A 5/16 nut and a loop of wire attached to the arm on the side of the carb fixed that with a typical Vern fix. Please don't tell the PC police. I relate this only to give everyone a :lol: Vern

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:52 am

v w wrote:Doesn't really sound like the same thing but I was losing power uphill with the sickle mower, then whenever going up hill. The choke was vibrating shut. A 5/16 nut and a loop of wire attached to the arm on the side of the carb fixed that with a typical Vern fix. Please don't tell the PC police. I relate this only to give everyone a :lol: Vern
Properly adjusting the choke arm so it sets at six o'clock when the choke is fully open would of fixed it as well. It's not going to vibrate uphill. :D

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:00 am

Might also want to check your gas cap vent. Make sure it is open and you are not developing a vacuum in your fuel tank.
(Check the cheap and easy stuff before tearing things apart)
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:41 am

Yep, vent on the gas cap could be tested by CAREFULLY opening the gas cap when you are having the problem. Best best is to get the FREE one. http://www.ihgascap.com/index.aspx.

Even when I am going to use the Cub all day the tank is never full.... last time I mowed the fort was 6 hours running and it used 2 1/2 gallons.

Seafoam is great stuff!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:20 am

When was the last time the tractor engine had a complete tune up?

Shut off the fuel at the gas tank. Remove and clean the carburetor main jet. Install a can of carburetor/fuel system cleaner in the fuel tank. Replace the carburetor's main jet.

I install Marine Stabil in the fuel if the machine is going to set for some time. I shut off the fuel at the tank, then let the engine run until the engine is out of gas.

Not sure where any of these parts are and how I would test.
Manuals are on line, top of page, free down load. There is the site's search function.

Ignition related issues can have similar symptoms.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:55 pm

Good points Eugene. Coil getting really hot is another easy check.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

NJ Farmer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08876
Tractors Owned: 1953 F-Cub
1957 F-Cub
1956 Lo-Boy
1971 Cub Cadet 149
1976 Cub Cadet 1200

Postby NJ Farmer » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:51 pm

Wow if your gas tank was that bad I can only imagine what got past the gas bowl "screen door". You might consider correcting the gas tanks contamination issue first. After that I would then go through the carburetor to make sure all the "holes" are not obstructed which could lead to a number of issues related to power and power distribution.
Try not to use bandaids to fix gunshot wounds!

I think it says right on the origional gas cap...."Use Clean Fuel" or something like that...

NJ Farmer

NJ Farmer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08876
Tractors Owned: 1953 F-Cub
1957 F-Cub
1956 Lo-Boy
1971 Cub Cadet 149
1976 Cub Cadet 1200

Postby NJ Farmer » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:59 pm

After reviewing the origional post I might add something to the issue. You say that this only happens when going up and down hills. The only think I can think of is the "relative" position of the carburetor float and if possible it is getting ajar due to a worn or possible rusty float pin which might fiddle with the float level there by causing the gas to be cut off in certain relative positions of the carburetors attitude. But anyway you slice it I would definately be looking at the carburetor as a place to trouble shoot.

NJ Farmer
It's always the most simple problem that pisses us off the most!!

marshall
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby marshall » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:13 pm

The carburetor was last overhauled about 3 years ago by the person who sold it to me so I don't really know what was done.

The mystery to me is why I run OK on a full tank and then after about an hour it starts to have this issue when I go up hill. Initially there are just some infrequent misses.
Then after 10 minutes or so the misses become longer with the engine nearly conking out but then regaining power - always while going uphill. By this time I usually head back for the barn and have it die on some slight uphill. Oddly, I'm able to start it again, go a few feet (a path that is more level) and can get back to the barn.

So I should take the carb off and clean its internals with carb cleaner. Are there moving parts, gaskets, springs, or any of that kind of thing that need replacing (I've only overhauled chainsaw carbs with kits)?

I'm also noticing gas dripping kind of steadily once the valve is open. It must be from around the rubber gasket at the top of the bowl. Its a drop or two per second at times. I doubt this would interfere with gas flow to the engine but it is a disturbing thing to see gas dripping when the engine is hot. The rubber gasket is in pretty good shape so I'm not sure how to stop this leak.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:48 pm

marshall wrote:I'm also noticing gas dripping kind of steadily once the valve is open. It must be from around the rubber gasket at the top of the bowl. Its a drop or two per second at times.

Are you sure it isn't leaking around the stem of the shut-off? The originals were a back seating valve. It has to be entirely open or it will leak. Many replacements have conventional packing on the stem. The packing nut has to be tight enough to stop leakage and loose enough to be able to turn the valve. Some people have replaced the packing with a tiny o-ring.

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:45 am

Scrivet, I have known this tractor since 1960 and the lever has always been at 3:00. I'll give it a try. Thanks. Vern

Return to “Farmall Cub”