This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub 22 Mower, new....to me!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cub67
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44601
Tractors Owned: 55 Cub
67 Cub
45 JD A
Circle of Safety: Y

Cub 22 Mower, new....to me!

Postby cub67 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:13 pm

I picked up this cub 22 last weekend with what little $$ I had left over from AMA Vintage Days. The drive end was under dirt for some time by an apparent busy groundhog said the po. The cutter bar looks to be in decent shape. Hopefully a good cleaning and fresh coat of paint will have it working again. I need to find a drive pulley though. I already bought a new rear mount as this one is nearly gone. Is there any way to figure out the year it was made, or a serial number? I have been spending a lot of time here on the site gathering all of the information I can.
Attachments
sickle_338x600.jpg

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Re: Cub 22 Mower, new....to me!

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:38 pm

I don't think there were ever any serial #'s on the sickle mowers. Determining age will be difficult. If the seller bought it new with his Cub, he might be able to give you that info.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:06 pm

A great source of information (all things Cub) and help is the Cub Tug on July 31 and August 1. Come join us in Somerset, OH about 2.5 hours south of Alliance. Will make a nice road trip and you will get to meet a lot of fine folks that know lots about Cubs. Check out the Cub Tug right here https://www.facebook.com/cubtug.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:06 pm

Hi,
They had no serial numbers on Cub 22 mowers that I know of. I figured out the year mine was made by removing the large pulley at the rear, on the back side of it there is a date code, like the Cubs have on the engine, or other castings, the letter is the year. Your pulley could have been replaced, but might be the original, it's worth a look if you want to know the year.
The pulley has left hand threads, so turn it to the right to loosen it. Sometimes they are hard to get loose, I turn the weight at the front of the long tube so the weight is down, then put a long wrench on the place for a wrench on the pulley, have it hanging out to the right, then hit it with a large hammer, the blow usually loosens it. You might need someone to hold the weight at the front from turning.
There are usually spacer washers behind the pulley, put them back like they were, or if there is too much end play, put in washers the right size to reduce the end play to a small amount, not tight though.
You should check the bushings on the long shaft for looseness, there is a bushing at each end. Be sure the grease fitting at each end of the tube is there, and grease it well.
There is also a letter code on the PTO pulley, but I guess you don't have that.
There also might be a letter code stamped in the round front weight at the pitman too, not sure if they all had the code there, or if they all had the date codes on the 3 parts, mine did though. If you pressure wash it, you can see the letters better probably.
I would recommend taking the mower apart into a few of the large pieces, it is easier to handle putting it on the Cub. There is a Cub 22 mower owner's manual in the manuals at the top of the page.
I don't know if you need all this info, but someone else might. :)

cub67
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44601
Tractors Owned: 55 Cub
67 Cub
45 JD A

Postby cub67 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:20 pm

Wow...thank you for the information. I have been trying to get the drive shaft out. I had no idea that was a left hand thread on the pulley. I was trying to get the nut loose at the pitman end...(it is not left hand too is it ?) but have not had any luck. I need another person to help hold it so I have not torqued on it too hard yet. I was hoping that as I tried to loosen the pitman nut that the pulley would come loose but I guess not! I will be working on it this weekend so now that I know hopefully I will get it apart. Do the letters in the casting date represent the same years as the tractor castings? Anpther question, do you think it is ok to bead blast the cutter bar and knife or should it be cleaned up a different way?

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:32 pm

Hi,
Yes, the nut on the pitman end is left hand threads too. The weight at the front, I think they call it a flywheel, is pressed on the long shaft and should be tight, don't remove that from the shaft. The shaft slides out forward after removing the rear pulley. Remove the pitman first is better.
Yes, the letters on the codes are the same as for the tractor, at least mine was.
It should be ok to blast the cutter bar like you said, as far as I know. I have never done it, maybe someone else did and will write. :)

Return to “Farmall Cub”