This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fuel line questions

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
sevy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12853

Fuel line questions

Postby sevy » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:28 pm

So...I have read the other fuel line threads, and I am still befuddled. I understand that you are making new lines out of 5/16 steel brake lines, but my question is what are the ends?
The current set up on my Cub was obviously jury rigged by some previous owner, and while it has not been leaking, I wanted to replace it with the correct set up, especially since my exhaust goes to the rear and not up (the tractor's exhaust, not mine :oops: )

Currently, this is my sight glass body:

And this is the end which attaches (with a ferrule):

Looking at the inside of the sight glass body, I don't see how a regular flared end would seal?

At the carb end, There is a brass pipe fitting (tapered I think), which then screws to a brass compression fitting with a ferrule, just like the other end. Here is the carb body:

Again, I don't see how a flared end would seal in there.
I suspect someone buggered these all up at one time, but I would like to put it back to stock. I bought some packing thread with graphite to help seal the shut off, and a new sight glass gasket from NAPA made of rubber. The last few cork gaskets I got from IH warped badly and then leaked almost immediately. I will use some Blue Hylomar on the upper side of the gasket to keep it on the housing better, as trying to reattach the glass after emptying debris with the tank in place requires more hands and dexterity than I apparently possess, and my pet octopus just died, so there is that as well :)

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Fuel line questions

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:46 pm

The way is to cut the ends off the brake lines, bend them to shape, then put the ferule ends on. The ferules and nuts are available at most any auto parts place, just take your old one so they can see for sure what you need. I prefer the lines from Autozone, they are easier to bend and have the nice black anodized coating, but that is just my preference.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

sevy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby sevy » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:46 pm

Thank you for that! So, the ferruled ends were actually the original connections, or is this just the easiest way to use what I have already got in place?

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:51 pm

From TM Tractor, here is the correct fitting: http://www.tmtractor.com/new/fl/512fp.htm
The threads are 1/2-20 although they look like a pipe thread and often get stripped out and need to be helicoiled.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:04 pm

John has you covered. The OEM fuel shutoff valve fuel outlet and carb inlet are 1/2 x 20 thread, not tapered so if you have something different then it's been jury-rigged. It is possible to use a 5/16 compression union fitting in these locations but you wil have to discard one of the compression nuts and ferrules then rethread the end that screws into the carb and fuel shutoff with a 1/2 x 20 bolt die nut. The advantage of this type connection is that you will probably not have to screw anything back into the carb or fuel shutoff, which both are notorious for easy crossthreading and damaging the soft metal. The other option to correct bad threads is to use a helicoil. Just my 2 cents worth. Sta
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

sevy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby sevy » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:36 pm

Thanks! I think I will get the helicoil at the carb end to get rid of the two pieces that are there now. The other end is apparently okay. The ferrules are actually a better deal, since I won't have to worry about finding my old flaring tool!

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:04 pm

Sevy, The helicoil is a little tricky to do. Rick Prentice came up with a pilot guide to allow an end mill to cut the ID of the inlet to the correct size for the STI tap. If it's crooked at all, the fitting will not go in straight. There are lots of forum members that have the guide and I'd suggest you find one close to you to do the helicoil. Until then, continue with what you have.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

sevy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby sevy » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:23 pm

Okay, will do. Thanks!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:27 pm

this is my solution and it is now a standard upgrade for any Cub I purchase - How To Upgrade A Cub Fuel System .. I have one on the waiting list right now .. :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

sevy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby sevy » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:36 pm

I used three different pulley sizes for bending jigs, and with some careful effort and patience was able to create a steel fuel line that works perfectly. I took the carb apart and cleaned it with some Mercury/Johnson outboard cleaning spray, which I then washed off with water, and finally sprayed the water out of the orifices with carb cleaner (I didn't have a compressor available). It started instantly and has never run so well, so I think the carb had some snot inside, and the improved airtight fuel line can't have hurt either.
Time to get the sickle bar mower installed and get my fields cut!
Thanks for the help!

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:17 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:The way is to cut the ends off the brake lines, bend them to shape, then put the ferule ends on. The ferules and nuts are available at most any auto parts place, just take your old one so they can see for sure what you need. I prefer the lines from Autozone, they are easier to bend and have the nice black anodized coating, but that is just my preference.
……NAPA has a dark grey line that is similar to what John mentioned from Auto Zone, that I have used and it bends nicely for a steel line if you don't have access to Autozone…Dave
In Memory of 58,286

sevy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby sevy » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:33 pm

I forgot to mention another issue that I solved when I was doing this project, and that was the shutoff for the sight glass. Until I took it apart, I didn't realize that when opening the shutoff it needs to be unscrewed all the way until the brass ridge inside seats on the collar so as to prevent air from getting by. I had always just opened it a turn or so, and this may have contributed to the rough running I was experiencing?
Just started cutting my hay for this season, and it runs flawlessly now. Really a perfect design for the Adirondack "fields" I mow to keep them from going to brush, as everything is side hill and full of big rocks and boulders. The cub sits high enough to clear most of these, and the visibility looking down on the sickle bar in front of you allows you to lift the bar and miss most of the stuff before you hit it. After several hours of this rough ground mowing, I feel like I have been in a gym all day, as you take quite a pounding just staying on board!

Return to “Farmall Cub”