Need to pull a trailer with cub-help.

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Michcub
Zip Code: 49201

Need to pull a trailer with cub-help.

Postby Michcub » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:22 am

I got roped into pulling a small trailer that has a 2" ball receiver on it this weekend with my cub. I only have the quick hitch for implements on my cub. I do not see myself being able to obtain a drawbar and brackets, then removing everything, to install the drawbar. Is there anything that slides into the quick hitch, and possibly bolted on trough the hole under the quick hitch, that I could install a ball on? I could possibly have something fabricated for me if someone has an idea. This is a slow speed parade type application. Thank you!

mva1958
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 23314
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Need to pull a trailer with cub-help.

Postby mva1958 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:40 am

You need a fast hitch pull bar extension, if you search google you'll find some vendors that carry them. Ebay is another possibility and you might want to post a wtb in the Vine section. JP Tractor Salvage (link at the bottom of this page) is another possible source.
If only Mrs. Hoyt and Mrs. Clagwell had gotten along...

dgrapes59
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub
2-1955 Loboy w FH
a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, CC Narrow Frames- 70 & 100's, 71, Couple 102's & 122's, 72, 124, 73, various CC options & implements #1 & 2 Trailers, 1963 Springfield, JD 770

Postby dgrapes59 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:48 am

Welcome to the Forum!

They made a part but it is a little hard to find and likely won't before this weekend, but for reference:

FH trailer ball bracket.jpg

Picture courtesy of TM Tractor

It has a pin that can be removed and the bracket flips around for storage while using the Fast Hitch.
David

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:52 am

Can't help with the hitch, but I would like to comment on the trailer. Keep in mind the Cub has very limited braking capacity. Don't try to pull too big of a trailer to avoid potential problems. If there are any hills in your route be sure you use a lot of care.
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt -

Circle of Safety

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:10 am

I have a fabricated pullbar extension that came with a Cub I purchased. It doesn't look like its too difficult to make. You need the 2 plates that go on the outside of the fast hitch point receiver with holes for the bolt/pin They don't need the angles, rectangular pieces will be just fine. These 2 plates are welded to the extended plate with a hole for the ball. Voila!!
Trent McPeak

Xperimental
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 47359
Tractors Owned: Farmall 200
1956 Farmall Cub
1961 Farmall Cub
Farmall 460D
International 656D Hi-Clear
Farmall 806D
Allis Chalmers 5020

Postby Xperimental » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:19 pm

I have a farm fabricated fast hitch drawbar. It has a fabricated fast hitch point and locks into the hitch like all the other fast hitch implements. I keep a ball on it to pull my wood splitter and it works very well. I second Barnyard's comment above about the Cub's braking capacity. The Cub's brakes are limited.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:10 pm

Hi,
Welcome to the website. If you find a pull bar extension to use the trailer with, if your trailer has 2 wheels and is balanced when hooked on the Cub, or has not much weight on the trailer front end, the Fast Hitch can raise up. To stop this from happening, move the collar on the Fast Hitch lift rod all the way to the rear, as far as it will go on the round bar, and tighten it in place.
Here is a page from a Cub owner's manual showing it. It is called the Stop Collar in the pic. It is not all the way to the rear in the pic.
It also shows the pull bar extension turned ahead. If you put a hitch ball on it, you can't turn it ahead, just remove the pull bar extension and store it, or remove the ball.
Click on the pic makes it bigger. :)

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... e%2019.jpg

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Trent M » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:23 pm

Here are some pics of the one I was talking about. I was wrong about the rectangular pieces, but it still doesn't look too hard to make. I put it next to an original for comparison.

Trent McPeak

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Trent M » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:47 pm

A member PM'd me saying he thought the one I thought was home-made might be an original part. Anyone else ever seen one like it?
Trent McPeak

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:14 am

Hi,
Trent M, the pull bar extension on the first Fast Hitches, 1955, looked like the one in your pics. I don't know how long they were used, I guess the other one is cast, it is newer, I don't know when they were first used.
I have the first style, it is almost like your pics, but I think someone might have made yours, but it is very close to the same, I'm not sure, it looks about the same.
Look at my other post above there is a pic from the 1955 Cub owner's manual showing it some.

tmays
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 39180
Tractors Owned: 1948 Allis Chalmers G
1947 Cub
1952 Cub

154 Cub LoBoy

Postby tmays » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:39 am

Here's a pic of my early one
Thomas

dgrapes59
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub
2-1955 Loboy w FH
a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, CC Narrow Frames- 70 & 100's, 71, Couple 102's & 122's, 72, 124, 73, various CC options & implements #1 & 2 Trailers, 1963 Springfield, JD 770

Postby dgrapes59 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:52 am

Well I learned something as well!

I have a "cast" one, but think I will make one for the other FH as that looks simple enough. :big afro:
David

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Trent M » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:48 am

Glen wrote:Hi,
Trent M, the pull bar extension on the first Fast Hitches, 1955, looked like the one in your pics. I don't know how long they were used, I guess the other one is cast, it is newer, I don't know when they were first used.
I have the first style, it is almost like your pics, but I think someone might have made yours, but it is very close to the same, I'm not sure, it looks about the same.
Look at my other post above there is a pic from the 1955 Cub owner's manual showing it some.

Indeed, you are right! I had never noticed. I always just assumed mine was a home-made job. That's it in the manual, just turned around in the stored position.

Trent McPeak

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:18 am

I picked this one up for $3.00 at a flea market. It was in a box mixed with all kinds of odds and ends. The seller had no idea what it was and I just thought it was a home made hitch and wasn't sure if it would fit a Cub. I figured for the price it was worth the risk. It may be home made, but this thread has me wondering. There aren't any markings on it.

fh- bar-1.JPG

fh- bar-2.JPG
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt -

Circle of Safety

Michcub
Zip Code: 49201

Postby Michcub » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:09 pm

Thank you everyone for all of the help. It was extremely useful. I think we are going to fabricate something very similar. We are going to try to weld a class I or III receiver tube to the bottom of it though. That way I can adjust the height of the ball using different sized receiver hitches. My quick hitch does not really lower far enough (evenly) to accommodate the trailer I will pull. It is made out of an old pop up camper.