This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What implements would work best for me

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
geolson414
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 53223

What implements would work best for me

Postby geolson414 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:37 pm

I was hoping to get some advice on which implements would be best for me. I am looking at doing some food plots for deer. The land that the plots will be on has never been tilled or plowed. From what I have read, I will want to get a 12" 1 bottom plow, followed by a disk. How big of a disk can I comfortably pull with the cub?

I am also looking to level some trails around my property. For this I was thinking of getting a box blade with teeth. If I go easy, will the cub be able to pull the box blade through fresh grass/dirt? Would there be a better tool for doing what I want?

My cub currently has a mower deck and I would rather not have to remove it every time I want to use the tractor for anything other than cutting grass. I came across this picture posted by "Rick Prentice". Does anyone have any experience doing this? Is he still around?

75143990.jpg

Any input is would be greatly appreciated!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: What implements would work best for me

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Tell us a little more about your Cub, i.e. what year, standard or LoBoy, fast hitch or drawbar, what kind of mower. Maybe then we can make some recommendations.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

geolson414
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby geolson414 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:56 pm

It is a 1949 standard cub with a drawbar

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:06 pm

Also, what type of grains are you going to plant in the food plots? How many acres total are the food plots going to be?

Consider burning down the current plants with a herbicide.

I use a 12 volt, 15 gallon tank sprayer, with boom, to burn down plants. I also have a 12 volt broadcaster for sowing seeds, lime, and fertilizer.
I have an excuse. CRS.

geolson414
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby geolson414 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:18 pm

I am planning on doing clover, oats, buckwheat, rape, and sorghum. I might look into doing some corn and soybeans eventually. Any other grains you would recommend?

geolson414
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby geolson414 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:54 pm

The total size of the plots would be 1-2 acres

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:07 pm

http://www.outreachoutdoors.com/foodplo ... -radishes/

Tillage radish. 8 lbs to an acre. Inexpensive. Two years ago it was 65 cents a pound from the local farm and ranch store.

If you have turkeys in the area, sun flowers.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:39 pm

To answer one question, no the cub will not be able to do much with a box blade in grass. Loose dirt and gravel, yes, if not too big a blade, but not in grass.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:48 pm

Stick with designed for Cub implements .. such as the Cub-193 Moldboard plow. Plow the area you wish to plant into feed plots. Then use a Cub-38 Disc Harrow to work the plot. I wouldn't bother with a box blade .. they are heavy and not all that useful for a small area say of 1 to 2 acres. If you want to be a little more particular about the soil a York rake can be used to rake out rocks or you can use what I use .. which is a potato digger in my case a M-H #1 towing a small trailer for the rocks :-)

Many ways to do it ... depends on what is available in your area. A Cub-38 should be about $250.00 US in good shape or you can get a horse drawn one for about 50 bucks ... A Cub-193 should be anywhere from 75 to 175 dollars depending on condition, location and if the coulter/jointer is with it and what the share looks like.

Imagination is the only limit :-)

You can disconnect the mid mount hydraulics and chain the mower up when you want to use the rear drawbar and rear hydraulic lift assembly .. and use any Cub implement with it or horse drawn equipment. To use the mower reattache the mid mount hydraulic assembly and disconnect the rod going to the rear assembly.

Check out the implements in the manuals either the pdf's or on me server at Rudi's Farmall Cubs .. links are at the top.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:00 pm

I do it every year.

Cub 193 Plow

Cub 23A disk

Here is the method I use that works for me. I have a total of about 2.5 acres in 4 different food plots. Each year in late summer, I plow and disk 1 of the plots and spread oats. I adjust the disk blades into a straight position to lightly the cover the oat seed. I then sprinkle on some purple top turnips and sow white clover. The next year I move to another one and let the plot from the previous year stay in the perennial clover until its turn comes back around in the rotation. It is far healthier for the soil not to be worked up every year. The nitrogen fixed by the clover always gives me a nice green stand of oats and turnips when that turn comes. I never spend a dime on fertilizer or glyphosphate. I mow the clover plots a couple times each year.

You will most certainly NOT plow with a belly mower installed. That's the main reason most of us have more than one Cub!!!
Trent McPeak

Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01256
Tractors Owned: 1984 JD 990
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

Postby Bigschuss » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:39 am

I do not think your Cub will pull a box blade through fresh sod easily, if at all? Just my 2 cents. And keeping the mower on while you change our other implements will not work either.

I use mine for some light food plotting. I use something called the LC Mix and method…basically it's a 45% brassica blend, 45% rye/grain blend, and 10% clover, planted in blocks or in strips….you rotate the rye and brassica every year. Plow and discing will work. I would highly recommend a cultipacker, which your cub will pull just fine.

You may not even need your plow. If you are O.K. using glyphosate you can achieve very nice results by spraying.

Good luck.
I wish coke was still cola, and a joint was a bad place to be...
- Merle Haggard

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:14 am

You may want to hire someone with a larger tractor to plow and fit the "virgin" ground. A bigger tractor will do a much better job cutting and turning over the thick sod that's developed, and smoothing out the ground. No doubt there will also be heavy roots that will stop the Cub cold as well. After the first year you will have no trouble working the ground with the Cub.

There are some things you can do with the mower "hung" as Rudi recommends, but the mower is too much in the way for plowing. Even if you could manage to get the drawbar mounted in the correct reversed position, the mower deck will catch on the edge of the furrow, leaving you high and dry. It's not a big deal to remove the mower, especially if you're at all creative. You can zip tie the belt in place on the pulleys on the deck so you don't have to figure out how to re-thread the belt later.

Or as the guys like to say, you can use it as an excuse to buy a second Cub!

geolson414
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby geolson414 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:25 am

Thank you all for the advice so far. I will look into the implements that you all had mentioned.

I have another question now. I don't have any of the rear lift assembly. I see on the left hand side of the tractor where it would connect, but nothing after that. How easy would it be to find the rear lift assembly? Or would I be better off doing a home made version (and conside doing a 3pt to have a few more options?)

And I was waiting for someone to say "just buy another" :). But I think if I get a second tractor it would be a slightly larger model with a 3pt and regular PTO.

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:07 am

Bigschuss wrote:I do not think your Cub will pull a box blade through fresh sod easily, if at all? Just my 2 cents. And keeping the mower on while you change our other implements will not work either.

I use mine for some light food plotting. I use something called the LC Mix and method…basically it's a 45% brassica blend, 45% rye/grain blend, and 10% clover, planted in blocks or in strips….you rotate the rye and brassica every year. Plow and discing will work. I would highly recommend a cultipacker, which your cub will pull just fine.

You may not even need your plow. If you are O.K. using glyphosate you can achieve very nice results by spraying.

Good luck.

Hey Bigschuss! Ah yes, the LC mix/rotation. I have never used it only because I'm set in my ways, but the most serious deer habitat managers in the country absolutely swear by it.

LC stands for LickCreek, which was a forum name of Paul Knox. He also went by Dbltree on-line. Paul passed away last fall, but he left a library of outstanding information for habitat managers. Do yourself a favor and check out some of his writing. The shear volume of the knowledge he shared will make your head spin.

http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/forumdis ... rune=&f=45

http://www.outreachoutdoors.com/phpBB3/ ... m.php?f=19
Trent McPeak

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:46 am

The rear lift and rod should be easy to obtain. Place an ad in the Vine. You'll need to specify if you have hydraulics or not (manual lift requires extra parts). A 3 pt. for the Cub only allows for use of Cat. 0 tools, and I think you'd be disappointed with what you'd get and the price you'd have to pay for them. Just my opinion.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Return to “Farmall Cub”