This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What implements would work best for me

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
geolson414
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 53223

Re: What implements would work best for me

Postby geolson414 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:33 am

I just put an ad up in the vine. Thanks for the suggestion

I will check out those links that were posted!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby pickerandsinger » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:39 am

Just a thought, but taking a mower on and off once a week is not a serious chore…I built some 3 piece ramps and just drove on and off the deck(without even touching it) and even rigged up some pins to pin it at the rear….I did however use it as an excuse to purchase 3 more cubs…( Implement differentiation) so that was a plus….My original cub was a 58 lo-boy with a fast hitch….With mower,( Danco 59)…I won't go in to detail on how I removed and installed the belts… :censored: ..And I also plowed with it…And york raked, and disc harrowed...But to be honest my reg cub plows better, cause its set up for that….Now the Lo-boy is just for mowing but I worked with it for all mentioned for several years…My 2 cents….Dave
In Memory of 58,286

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:17 am

geolson414 wrote:But I think if I get a second tractor it would be a slightly larger model with a 3pt and regular PTO.
In central Missouri, 3 point equipment and standard PTO powered equipment is readily available and if purchased from a private individual or auction can be relatively inexpensive.

I have a couple of tractors larger than my Cubs for heavy work. There are some tasks that Cubs are under powered and to light to tackle.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01256
Tractors Owned: 1984 JD 990
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

Postby Bigschuss » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:30 pm

geolson414 wrote:And I was waiting for someone to say "just buy another" :). But I think if I get a second tractor it would be a slightly larger model with a 3pt and regular PTO.

In your initial post you wrote:

geolson414 wrote: Would there be a better tool for doing what I want?

….and my initial thought was to respond with "Yes, a different tractor." I love my little Cub, and if that's all you have it will work decently for food plotting. But really they are limited. There's just nothing quite like a nice little modern 25 to 35 HP tractor with 4wd, 3 pt. hitch, and a FEL for what you are doing on the acreage you have.
I wish coke was still cola, and a joint was a bad place to be...
- Merle Haggard

Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01256
Tractors Owned: 1984 JD 990
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

Postby Bigschuss » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:39 pm

Trent M wrote:Hey Bigschuss! Ah yes, the LC mix/rotation. I have never used it only because I'm set in my ways, but the most serious deer habitat managers in the country absolutely swear by it.

LC stands for LickCreek, which was a forum name of Paul Knox. He also went by Dbltree on-line. Paul passed away last fall, but he left a library of outstanding information for habitat managers. Do yourself a favor and check out some of his writing. The shear volume of the knowledge he shared will make your head spin.

http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/forumdis ... rune=&f=45

http://www.outreachoutdoors.com/phpBB3/ ... m.php?f=19

Hey Trent…indeed Paul Knox left behind a rich legacy of writings that I imagine have helped thousands of managers and food plotters. He was also just a genuinely nice guy.

I'm in a thickly wooded northern forest with no agriculture anywhere for tens of miles. Nothing. Also, no hard mast. Putting in a few small plots for me around here was like putting out the only bird feeder in the neighborhood.

Blair
I wish coke was still cola, and a joint was a bad place to be...
- Merle Haggard

geolson414
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby geolson414 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:53 pm

Another tractor won't be in the cards for me for a while. I think I will be able to make the cub work, and find a crafty way to get the mower deck off somewhat quickly.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I have a few feelers out for a plow, disk, and rear lift assembly. I will keep you all updated as I find things.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:32 pm

Keep your eyes open. This isn't like buying a pair of pants, where you can just go to a store and grab exactly what you want off a rack whenever you want.

Watch your local/regional papers. Learn to use searchtempest (I like the direct results mode). Manually search your 3 nearest craigslists. Check the vine on this site every day. The only way you're going to find what you want is if you do your own legwork.

geolson414
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby geolson414 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:47 pm

That is good advice, but I'm one step a head of you :) I found a guy selling a plow. He lives about 2 hours away, but my buddy lives about 30 min from him and is picking it up for me in about 20 min! It is a cub-193 in good shape for $135 (which sounds like a fair price)

I do have a question though. Why do I need to turn the draw bar inward? If length is an issue couldn't I just shorten the arm of the plow?

muleboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66839

Postby muleboss » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:04 pm

Make sure you get the depth control lever with the plow.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:01 pm

muleboss wrote:Make sure you get the depth control lever with the plow.

...and the dog bone and eye bolt that may be attached to the drawbar.

Bob

Edit: The plow was designed to work with the draw bar in the reversed position. If you shorten the arm, it likely won't work at all.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:18 pm

geolson414 wrote: Why do I need to turn the draw bar inward? If length is an issue couldn't I just shorten the arm of the plow?

Answer to question #1. Because that is the way it is designed to work.

Answer to question #2. No, unless you want to turn your $135 plow into a pile of scrap metal.

Please take the time to familiarize yourself with the 193 Owner's Manual here: http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/download.php?fname=./files/Cub%20Attachments/Plows%20and%20blades/Cub-193%20Moldboard%20Plow%2011-20-51.pdf

You might also want to look at this: http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=149&t=38411

Good luck with the plow.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:23 pm

Bill Hudson wrote:
geolson414 wrote: Why do I need to turn the draw bar inward? If length is an issue couldn't I just shorten the arm of the plow?

Answer to question #1. Because that is the way it is designed to work.

Answer to question #2. No, unless you want to turn your $135 plow into a pile of scrap metal.

Please take the time to familiarize yourself with the 193 Owner's Manual here: http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/download.php?fname=./files/Cub%20Attachments/Plows%20and%20blades/Cub-193%20Moldboard%20Plow%2011-20-51.pdf

You might also want to look at this: http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=149&t=38411

Good luck with the plow.

Bill
……Trust me you will not be sorry heeding Bill Hudsons advice on plowing….In fact you'll be amazed how setting up a plow correctly will change your plowing experience…Be sure to read these articles….When it comes to plowing, he rules…. :lol: :thumbsup: Dave
In Memory of 58,286

Kirk-NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07838

Postby Kirk-NJ » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:03 am

I agree with others forget the 3pt implements. The implements the cub was designed for work really well. Plow, disc and drag are about all you need to start working a food plot. Sure it's nice to have a bigger tractor work the ground first but if all you have is the cub than work with what you got just take small steps and don't overwhelm yourself. You can always add more areas as you go. If handy you can always make a drag out of an old log,piece of steel or some old fencing that someone is throwing out. Just keep your eyes open. Here's my homemade spiketooth drag made out of some steel channel and railroad spikes. It does a nice job of smooth things out after discing, ready to plant.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:14 pm

geolson414 wrote:I do have a question though. Why do I need to turn the draw bar inward? If length is an issue couldn't I just shorten the arm of the plow?

At the risk of piling on, I am going to put my 2 cents worth in.

On Wednesday, you weren't sure what implements you need. By Thursday, you were ready to build a 3-point hitch. By Friday, you were contemplating major modifications to an implement.

A lot of guys have built 3-points. About 98% of them aren't worth a flip with a plow. Most "fixes" to existing implements just make a mess. I encourage spending more time with the manuals (as you have obviously already been doing) and get the best understanding you can of how the implements are supposed to work. If the manual tells you to (for example) turn the drawbar around, turn it around.

A Cub will do a lot of work. But it is only capable of so much. The people that designed the original implements spent a lot of effort getting the most out of the Cub. Make full use of what they gave us.

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:57 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
geolson414 wrote:I do have a question though. Why do I need to turn the draw bar inward? If length is an issue couldn't I just shorten the arm of the plow?

At the risk of piling on, I am going to put my 2 cents worth in.

On Wednesday, you weren't sure what implements you need. By Thursday, you were ready to build a 3-point hitch. By Friday, you were contemplating major modifications to an implement.

A lot of guys have built 3-points. About 98% of them aren't worth a flip with a plow. Most "fixes" to existing implements just make a mess. I encourage spending more time with the manuals (as you have obviously already been doing) and get the best understanding you can of how the implements are supposed to work. If the manual tells you to (for example) turn the drawbar around, turn it around.

A Cub will do a lot of work. But it is only capable of so much. The people that designed the original implements spent a lot of effort getting the most out of the Cub. Make full use of what they gave us.

I agree with Jim!
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”