First time with Cub 22 mower

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Radec Aksarben
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 68739
Tractors Owned: '48 Farmall Cub w/ IH-Danco C2 belly mower
'49 Farmall M w/ factory disk brakes (not super style)
'51 International I-9 - rusty yellow
Circle of Safety: Y

First time with Cub 22 mower

Postby Radec Aksarben » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:12 pm

I got the sickle mower on and lubed it up and gave it a try for the first time. :D It seems to be operating correctly but it's pretty dull. It mows weeds but not grass very well.

I'm looking for advice on upkeep of these mowers and common wear points/things to look out for.
Also where is a good place to source a new sickle? I hope they exist! :shock:

P1030922.JPG

P1030928.JPG

My little Cub cadet was helping me put the mower on. Papa is proud. :{_}:
P1030914.JPG

BullDAWG
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 39401
Tractors Owned: 1950 Super A
1955 John Deere 60 (sold)
1950 Cub
1951 Cub
Tufline 5' disc
moldboard plow

Re: First time with Cub 22 mower

Postby BullDAWG » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:46 pm

Radec Aksarben wrote:I got the sickle mower on and lubed it up and gave it a try for the first time. :D It seems to be operating correctly but it's pretty dull. It mows weeds but not grass very well.

I'm looking for advice on upkeep of these mowers and common wear points/things to look out for.
Also where is a good place to source a new sickle? I hope they exist! :shock:

Are the sickle sections worn or is it the knife head worn? I would first check with our sponsors for sections and sickle guards but I have also seen them at places like http://www.agrisupply.com/ and tractor supply but most other parts you will have to get from IH dealers (if they even can get all the NOS parts) but you should be able to get what you need since yours is in running shape now...
go on the manual section here and look up the 22(A,Super-A,100-140), cub-22 and L-22 (lowboy-22) manual and it will show and describe wear parts and part #'s. The knife head is one of those high wear parts and if the sections (the sharp teeth/blades) are sharp then it is probably the head is worn and the sections are not working as designed .
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the GOVERNMENT and I'm here to HELP."
"I DON'T believe in a government that protects US from OURSELVES." R. Reagan

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:15 pm

If the sections (knives) need to be replaced, there is a tool call a Johnson Sickle Servicer. It will shear off the old sections, pop out the rivet stubs and then set the new rivets in the new sections. There are probably at least a dozen forum members that have them and one may available close to you or at a Cubfest. You can remove and replace the sections by hand but it is a lot more work. Above the section is a ledger plate attached to the rock guard. They are serrated. The section slides past the ledger plate and whatever is in the way gets cut. If the sections are too worn to sharpen, the serrated ledger plate is worn out, or the 5 hold downs are loose (not keeping the blade tight against the ledger plates), you won't get a good cut. As Bulldawg suggested, read through the manual and make sure your sickle mower is set up correctly. If you see a possible problem area, post some close up pictures for us to see.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
52 F-Cub
49 F-Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:00 pm

Radec Aksarben wrote:... It mows weeds but not grass very well....

A C-22 is really designed to cut stems (your weeds have stems) and not blades of grass. Stems do not bend easily, therefore, the C-22 cuts them nicely. The grass blades bend and tend to plug the cutter bar. The mower was designed to mow hay and hay ready for harvest has a lot of stems. Walk across a recently cut hay field and the vegetative matter will be largely stem stubble. Even a well tuned up C-22 will have some difficulty in grass.

Bill
"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

BullDAWG
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 39401
Tractors Owned: 1950 Super A
1955 John Deere 60 (sold)
1950 Cub
1951 Cub
Tufline 5' disc
moldboard plow

Postby BullDAWG » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:38 pm

Bill Hudson wrote:
Radec Aksarben wrote:... It mows weeds but not grass very well....

A C-22 is really designed to cut stems (your weeds have stems) and not blades of grass. Stems do not bend easily, therefore, the C-22 cuts them nicely. The grass blades bend and tend to plug the cutter bar. The mower was designed to mow hay and hay ready for harvest has a lot of stems. Walk across a recently cut hay field and the vegetative matter will be largely stem stubble. Even a well tuned up C-22 will have some difficulty in grass.

Bill

Good catch Bill, as we usually use it on hay too, and I didn't think about it on a shorter type grass as we have Pensacola Bahia and Argentine Bahia which is 3-5 ft tall and bigger stems than carpet grass or centipede grass. I try n only grow things that either I eat or grasses n veggies that other critters I'll eat can get nice n fat on... LOL
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the GOVERNMENT and I'm here to HELP."
"I DON'T believe in a government that protects US from OURSELVES." R. Reagan

Radec Aksarben
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Radec Aksarben » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:54 pm

You're saying the C-22 was intended for alfalfa or similar? I thought the smooth sickle section and ledger plate set up worked well in the grass and serrated sickle sections and smooth guards tended to work better in stemmed stuff. Maybe it's 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other.

I did notice that the gap between some of the sections and their respective ledger plates is rather large.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
52 F-Cub
49 F-Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:44 pm

Radec Aksarben wrote:... I did notice that the gap between some of the sections and their respective ledger plates is rather large.

A sure sign that it will be difficult to mow immature grass.

Alfalfa has a stem at harvest maturity, as does orchardgrass, timothy, and other grasses.

Bill
"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:12 pm

Hi,
I've had a Cub 22 mower for many years and use it for cutting grass and weeds, and I would say if you want to cut grass it has to have serrated knives, and really good ledger plates on the guards, that means not worn much. I agree they aren't really made for cutting really fine lawn grass. But it works really well for bigger grasses if everything is sharp and adjusted right. The knives have to be held down close to the ledger plates by the hold down clips.
Here is the 22 mower owner's manual below, it has much info about how to maintain the mower. It has mowers for 3 different tractors in it, so use the info for the regular Cub. Click on the pics makes them bigger.
Also below is a pic of a new ledger plate from an older IH brochure. The new guards come with ledger plates like that, the last time I looked anyway. If your ledger plates are old and dull, and the guards beat up some, new guards are easier to put on than replacing the ledger plates. Depends on what you want.
Below is a pic of a serrated knife, it's not from the IH brochure, but almost the same as Case IH. Knives are made in light, or heavy duty, the last time I looked. A Cub usually has the light duty knives. Heavy duty knives are thicker, so you have to bend up the hold down clips, unless they are already worn, and there is enough clearance. The knife bar has to slide freely, but not be loose up and down.
The knife head, the part with the ball, on the inner end of the knife bar, should not be loose up and down, it will make noise when running. There may be shims there to adjust the clearance if it is worn. If you are buying a whole new knife bar, adjust it so that fits good, it will be thicker probably, where it runs, than a worn one.
Also below are pics of the tool they had in the past for changing ledger plates.
I don't know if you need all this info, but someone else might.
Nice looking Cub and boy too. :)

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... index.html
Attachments
Mower.jpg
Mower 2.jpg
mower knife.jpg
Last edited by Glen on Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

tmays
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 39180
Tractors Owned: 1948 Allis Chalmers G
1947 Cub
1952 Cub

154 Cub LoBoy

Postby tmays » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:34 pm

I need one of them there ledger plate tools! :-)
Thomas

Scrivet
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:11 pm

As Glen mentioned replacing ledger plates is rarely done anymore, just replace the whole rock guard with the ledger built in. If there is a gap between the knife and ledger you may want to look at your hold down clips for wear. May need to remove a shim, whack them a little with a hammer, or put on new ones.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:39 am

The guards aren't cheap, $7.99 at Tractor Supply. If you're lucky to have a Runnings store within a couple hours' drive they only charge $5.99 for the same guards, so it might be worth the trip.

DickB
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:01 am

You can buy a special blade for the end of the cutter bar -- it is a 2-toothed blade, and along with a fresh ledger strip (that you rivet to the end of the C-22--out on that "shoe"), that will help keep the end of the assembly unclogged. For the 2-toothed blade, instead of rivets, my IH-Case dealer sells little nuts and bolts that actually work and they're painless to install. They look as if they'd clog up the running of the machine but they don't--they seem to be made out of brass and aluminum and they stay in place. Also, the dealer has rivets with countersunk heads for the end ledger strip mentioned. I'm amazed that the dealer has such parts, but as they always tell me at the store, there are lots and lots of Cubs out there...and they're being used. I'm guessing too that the mower is pretty much the same for some of the other Farmall tractors.

Two days ago, cutting what I thought were small-stuff saplings (as well as grass), I ran into something large enough to force the cutter bar under the ledger strip, and going backwards to do the same on the end rock guard's ledger plate. Luckily I had an extra rivet with the countersunk head to repair the end ledger strip. A trip to the local TSC got me the last rock guard (one has to creatively hacksaw the bottom to fit).

Hope this info of use to you now or in the future.

Radec Aksarben
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Radec Aksarben » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:55 am

Thanks everybody for the info.
I plan to use this primarily to mow weeds in the pasture, empty cattle yards, or around the farm place. I have quite a bit of experience with a JD W9 mower. My brother and I once replaced 9 feet worth of ledger plates on that thing. I also like to change out the knive rivets with the nuts and bolts when needed. I was hoping that would work on this mower too. Sounds like it will. :)

Here are some pictures of the knife head. ( I love the hand made casting numbers :) )
P1030935.JPG

It looks like it may have been welded in the past but the weld looks good.
P1030936.JPG

P1030937.JPG

Here is an attempt at to show the gap between the sickle and the hold downs.
The ledger plates are worn down a fair amount and do not protrude much beyond the guard. Guards are generally in great shape.
P1030938.JPG

My bar is bowed upward. This seems odd.
P1030939.JPG

P1030941.JPG

Radec Aksarben
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Radec Aksarben » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:25 am

Holy smokes! I just ran across this in the blue ribbon service manual about the upward bend of the bar. I'm feeling pretty good about this mower. Should work well with some adjustment and new cutting surfaces!
upward curve in the bar.JPG

Jerry M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28515

Postby Jerry M » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:00 pm

The cub 22 mowers were also used around here for cleaning up field ditch banks, which were mostly pretty tall weeds with heavier stems than you average yard grass. I have to agree that doubtfully it would do good in regular grass even with new knives.
1951 Cub, 22 Mower, 54 Grader Blade, Danco International Belly Mower,
193 Moldboard Plow, #144 Cultivators, Disk Hillers, IH Two-Section Spring Tooth Harrow, #16 Middle Buster, #3 Field Cultivator, Hester Tractor Plow, 2 Disk Harrows.