Converting 3pt disc to pull type?!?!?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BullDAWG
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 39401
Tractors Owned: 1950 Super A
1955 John Deere 60 (sold)
1950 Cub
1951 Cub
Tufline 5' disc
moldboard plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Converting 3pt disc to pull type?!?!?

Postby BullDAWG » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:51 pm

Do ya'll think this can be converted to a pull type disc and what would be the best and/or easiest way...???
My idea is to use the top link and cut off the rear supports and let it swing freely and add a pin type connector to the end of it.
0719150911a.jpg
See where the bottom links on the 3pt are, the top link could swivel there.
0719150911b.jpg
NOTE this is what I am talking about cutting and welding too
0719150913.jpg
0719150911.jpg
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the GOVERNMENT and I'm here to HELP."
"I DON'T believe in a government that protects US from OURSELVES." R. Reagan

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Converting 3pt disc to pull type?!?!?

Postby Eugene » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:29 pm

I don't see any mechanism for adjusting the angle(s) of the disk gangs. You generally need to set the disk gangs to a straight ahead position to move a pull type disk from one location to another.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:31 pm

If the lower link pins can be easily removed, you could put bushings and bolt the top link frame to where the lower link pins were. ???

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:12 pm

you are aware that 19 inches +/- is the height between the lowest positio of the rear rockshaft and the drawbar right? You are aware that 19 inches +/- is the standard for a 3 point hitch right?

Reason I know this is that with my splitter project building it for my Cub and for the M-F 1040 put this into focus for me.

Before you cut anything off ... see if you can mount it up .. might need to fabricate something so that the 3pt can be used as a liftable disc... Click the link in my sig line to see what I mean..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jerry M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28515

Postby Jerry M » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:00 pm

Yeah but,,,,,,would the cub even be able to lift a double gang harrow. Looks too heavy to me. I like the idea of making it a pull disk. However, as was already stated, would need to be able to adjust the disk in a straight position to be able to move it from one location to another without turning ground the whole way.
1951 Cub, 22 Mower, 54 Grader Blade, Danco International Belly Mower,
193 Moldboard Plow, #144 Cultivators, Disk Hillers, IH Two-Section Spring Tooth Harrow, #16 Middle Buster, #3 Field Cultivator, Hester Tractor Plow, 2 Disk Harrows.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:02 pm

Looking at it more ... it does look heavy .. didn't count the number of discs before but it looks like 16 discs 8 per gang. Probably too heavy ...

This is the harrow that I converted from a horse drawn to a lift type

Lighten it up as much as possible and it might become light enough. Looks like there is a fair amount of extraneous metal there.

Either way .. be careful... the one Ellie is lifting is pretty much the heaviest item I would ever try to lift with a Cub. Would rather use the L-38 though.

Not quite back to me old self yet it appears ... :-(
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Kirk-NJ
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 07838

Postby Kirk-NJ » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:29 am

Sell it and buy one more suited for a cub Or if you are going to hack it up since most of the front discs are shot and there are bearing problems cut the whole thing in half and use the front gangs and you can use the other disc and bearings to repair to make a good set. At least your cub with have a shot of lifting it by the rockshaft for transportation.

Kirk

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:35 am

It's definitely heavy with that ~4' long piece of rail strapped to the top. That's 250-400lbs right there depending on the type of rail. Without that, it probably doesn't do much.

Personally rather than cut anything I would simply unbolt the top brace, so that you can put it back later should you get a larger tractor with 3pt. An even better idea, to me at least, would be to fashion a tongue that connected to the lift pins and pivoted on those. That way you're not permanently modifying anything.

Even if you could straighten the gangs out for transport, you really wouldn't want to go very far without putting it on a cart, so build a cart to transport it on. You could also build a set of wheels that use an inexpensive trailer tongue jack as a lift mechanism.

Sure it's easy to say, "sell/junk it and get a proper Cub disk," but it's not like you can find those things on the shelf at a local Walmart any day of the week. You have to look, sometimes for months, to find anything at all, and then it's usually worn out and overpriced. Necessity is the mother of invention, and I think that disk can be made to work okay with some simple modifications.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:33 am

Blow up the first picture, the front gang is shot. You will need at least 4 new discs. Second photo - - Then figure out why there is so much space between the discs. Axle problem?

Just a thought. Move the rear gang to the front, then cut off the rear half of the disc harrow.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:54 am

Remove the rail and take some more pictures. It looks to me like the back half of the frame is bolted to the front half. Getting something more manageable may require no more than removing a few bolts. You can then borrow parts from the rear half to get the front in better shape. You may then be able to put together some brackets to make it into a lift disk.

In any case, you will need some sort of hitch that holds the disk in the "pitch" direction. You can't just hook it up loosely and expect decent results.

BullDAWG
5+ Years
5+ Years
1950 Cub
1951 Cub
Tufline 5' disc
moldboard plow

Postby BullDAWG » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:56 pm

Eugene wrote:Blow up the first picture, the front gang is shot. You will need at least 4 new discs. Second photo - - Then figure out why there is so much space between the discs. Axle problem?

Just a thought. Move the rear gang to the front, then cut off the rear half of the disc harrow.

I Forgot to mention a few things

1) I am not worried about turning discs straight, as she will only be on farm land so even if she still cuts a path to shed next to field it wont hurt anything so I'm not worried about lifting it.So I want it heavy... Very heavy and read reason 3 also...

2) the reason 1 gang is so loose is because some idiot put a 6-7" cup-type bearing in it BUT it is supposed to be a 9" tuff type cup bearing. So I'll fix that...and I got 8 new 18" notched disc's too... look at photos below...

3)forgot to mention that I'll mainly be using my Supper A to pull her, though I may sometimes use one of my cubs... but its a pain swapping implements so I usually just use one tractor for a certain job... (my 51 cub is for my c-22, my 50 cub has a single moldboard plow on her so I was gonna use the Super A w/ planter n cultavators to do the disking)
0728151641a.jpg
0726150912.jpg
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the GOVERNMENT and I'm here to HELP."

BullDAWG
5+ Years
5+ Years
1950 Cub
1951 Cub
Tufline 5' disc
moldboard plow

Postby BullDAWG » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:05 pm

Rudi wrote:Looking at it more ... it does look heavy .. didn't count the number of discs before but it looks like 16 discs 8 per gang. Probably too heavy ...

This is the harrow that I converted from a horse drawn to a lift type

:-(

Rudi, do you have a picture of the tongue/drawbar on that disc? I'd love to see how you converted it...

I got my eye on an old hose drawn rake and an IH horse drawn sicle mower I've been thinking about getting n converting to drawbar drawn also...

BullDAWG
5+ Years
5+ Years
1950 Cub
1951 Cub
Tufline 5' disc
moldboard plow

Postby BullDAWG » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:19 pm

Jim Becker wrote:Remove the rail and take some more pictures. It looks to me like the back half of the frame is bolted to the front half. Getting something more manageable may require no more than removing a few bolts. You can then borrow parts from the rear half to get the front in better shape. You may then be able to put together some brackets to make it into a lift disk.

In any case, you will need some sort of hitch that holds the disk in the "pitch" direction. You can't just hook it up loosely and expect decent results.

It could come apart as it was designed to flip the back gangs on top of the front to make it heavy n cut better, but like you stated, if I do that then I would have to make sure the hitch keeps the gang in the right "PITCH", BUT if I keep her w/ 2 rows then shouldn't I only have to have a swivel (up n down) with a place to connect to the draw bar? As the 2nd gang will keep it at the right "pitch"?!?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:14 pm

BullDAWG wrote: BUT if I keep her w/ 2 rows then shouldn't I only have to have a swivel (up n down) with a place to connect to the draw bar? As the 2nd gang will keep it at the right "pitch"?!?

Not as bad, but I suspect you will still want the hitch it keep it leveled front-to-back. You can try it and see what it does before reworking the hitch to control pitch.

Fix the blades and bearings. Before working on the hitch, try pulling it with a chain to each front corner and see what it does.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:08 pm

Bulldawg .. I will root through me pics .. I did finally get a decent hitch ..