starting/ performance

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cn412gk
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 33334

starting/ performance

Postby cn412gk » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:51 pm

Our 1950 Cub is hard starting, takes several attempts. trouble is its not used that much now, only usually when I go up to Ohio in the summer for 2 weeks from Florida. The points haven't been changed in several years, so I guess I should probably do that, I have the book. Also the coil may be going bad, do you really have to remove the magneto to do that, access isn't the greatest to the coil (if only it was external!).

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: starting/ performance

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:32 pm

cn412gk wrote:The points haven't been changed in several years, so I guess I should probably do that . . .

I wouldn't do that unless they really need changing. The new points available now aren't nearly as durable as the old ones. If they are burnt and pitted, replace them. If they are just dull or coated with some light oxidation, clean them. Use kraft paper (grocery sack) if lightly coated, point file if severe. Do NOT use any type of abrasive paper like sand paper, emery cloth etc. It will ruin them.