Did I do any major damage yet???

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
myusersname
Zip Code: 23089

Did I do any major damage yet???

Postby myusersname » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:35 pm

Hi guys, I'm in a bit of a bind.

I came across a farmall cub serial 60891 1800rpm max, that's all that is legible on the tag. The guy said it has been sitting for at least 10 years but looks to be mostly complete. It lacked the battery and a few other body parts, no lights. I couldn't tell if it is 6V or 12V and the "owner" didn't know either. I must remove it from his property tomorrow, but before I bought it I wanted to see if the engine was locked up. The gas tank and radiator were dry. I splashed a little bit of gas in the tank and made sure the flow was wide open on the tank. I had a 12V battery and hooked it up as negative ground. I hit the starter and it chucked about 5 times. Then dust and dirt came out the exhaust and the old girl came to life purring like a kitten!!! It was an awesome sight to see and hear. It ran great no smoke, I checked the hydraulic lift it worked and then shut her down. In all about 30 seconds of run time. But once shut off there was still a noise up front, either the generator/alternator or starter, something electrical buzzing. I quickly pulled one of the battery connections loose and the noise stopped.

So, I'm thinking maybe its a 6V??? The guy had another one that was 12V or at least the battery was, and it has a big voltage regulator mounted on it. The old one I'm fooling with didn't have that. But both alternator/generators of both tractors look the same, about 7" long, not short like a car alternator. The coil is about 4" long if that matters. Also when it was running the ammeter was discharging not charging. So this makes me also lean toward a 6V positive ground system.

Would the thing start and run if I hooked a 12V battery up to negative ground if it was 6V positive ground system?

I have to move this thing tomorrow and would love to just drive it on the trailer but need to know if I should buy a 6V battery or a 12V.

Thanks in advance guys!!

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Did I do any major damage yet???

Postby Barnyard » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:52 pm

According to the serial number it would be a 1949, so it is 6 volt. Hook it up with pos ground. Also, before running it too long you need to check the oil pressure. It probably needs to be primed after sitting so long. Don't run it long if there is no pressure.
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt -

Circle of Safety

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:07 pm

If you can winch it onto your trailer for the trip home, you're less likely to damage something due to lack of lubrication, shorted wiring, etc.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:16 pm

In my opinion, you have already run it as much as you should without proper lubrication. Winch or push it onto the trailer, as Bob suggests.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:16 pm

Welcome to the forum and congratulations.

I would not run it at all without an oil change at a minimum. Better yet, download a free owner's manual in PDF manuals above and read it from cover-to-cover and go through a FULL lube service as recommended. That will keep you busy for a weekend. Winch it on and be patient. Each cylinder should have had a good dose of penetrating oil and a day and then a good shot of oil before starting after a long layover. Most engine wear occurs on a cold start

pickerandsinger
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
1950 Ferguson TO20 w/ loader (John Henry)
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:04 am

Welcome to the forum…..Get some advice and ask questions before you tackle into anything…You will likely do more damage if you haphazardly attempt to address issues you are not familiar with….The advice is here and free for the asking….If you are not familiar with how to proceed start with the asking bit…..Good luck….. :D Dave
In Memory of 58,286

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:20 am

Even if it's 6V, odds are the electrical system is not working anyway, so you did not make things any worse.

The starter doesn't care about 6V or 12V. Just avoid prolonged cranking with the starter on 12V and it will be fine.

If you want to make it original, get a 6V battery, but the 12V battery you have now will work to drive it up on the trailer if you want. The ramifications of running the engine without oil pressure, or bad stuff in the crankcase notwithstanding...

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:46 am

Welcome to the forum.

Be sure to read that owners manual. There are hidden lube and grease fittings, throw out bearing, fan hub, generator etc.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:07 am

Congratulations on your find and being able to start it without major problems. You have already recieved a lot of good advice on bringing it back to a useful life. Welcome to the FORUM.

myusersname

Postby myusersname » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:36 pm

Well thanks everyone for the replies. I actually had one more day so I want to read up on the priming oil pump, that sounds very important. I didn't think to look to see if the oil pressure gauge showed pressure when it was running. The oil looks ok as far as used oil goes, no water or sludgely clumps. I did get a 6V battery for sport I guess. $105 bucks :shock: geez, and I can't use it on anything else for the other half of the year.

So if I pull the coil wire and turn her over and the oil pressure gauge shows pressure, do I need to prime the oil pump??

Supposedly the guy's dad used it up until his death. So my guess is it was parked in running condition. I'm wondering if he winterized it and dumped the water and gasoline, it that common practice with these?

My main pain with getting it on the trailer without power is that there is a cultivator rake (or little chisel plow??) hooked to the back and I have no clue how to get it off, as the weeds are all up in it. the back tires are in good shape and holding air, the front are beyond done, however there may be tubes in them, which may be ok.

What an awesome forum, free pdf manuals :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :thanx:

myusersname

Postby myusersname » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:50 pm

Also the guy said he thought his dad converted everything to 12V. Without the battery there are there any easy signs that a conversion has been done? Like I said, it did start and run off a 12V battery connected as negative ground, so I'm still baffled by this. Thanks Fellas!

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:04 pm

See if you have 12 volt light bulbs. Pop one out and they should be marked.

Take a small pump oiler with you. Take the top off the oil filter and if you look inside you will see an opening near the top. This gallery goes directly to the oil pump. Squirt some oil in the hole and put the filter cover back on and you will be good to go.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:16 pm

Generator: Black Delco tag = 6 volts. Red tag = 12 volts. Alternator = normally 12 volts.
I have an excuse. CRS.

myusersname

Postby myusersname » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:23 am

No light bulbs. I'll look for a tag on the generator. Thanks guys. I'm thinking it is still 6V. I'll prime the pump and run it as minimal as possible until I can get it lubed up well.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:08 pm

How to tell if it's converted to 12V: In 99.999999% of cases, the original generator would be replaced with an automotive type alternator.

Nothing to be baffled about that it ran on 12V. The electrical systems on these are VERY rugged, are VERY simple, and have no electronic devices that would instantly self-destruct on 12V aside from the light bulbs.

As I said before the starter can't tell and doesn't care.

The ignition coil is sensitive to voltage, but it will work for short runs. If you were to run it on 12V for prolonged periods you would want to install a ballast resistor in the supply wire to the coil to prevent overheating.

As long as you don't turn on the lights, nothing is going to go "kaffffoooofff!" and it will run like a champ for about 20 minutes on 12V.