Did I do any major damage yet???

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Did I do any major damage yet???

Postby bythepond88 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:10 pm

After squirting oil into the opening in the filter housing, crank the engine with the ignition off to make sure that oil comes back out the opening to confirm that the pump is indeed primed.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:28 pm

BTW, you won't be able to crank the engine long enough and fast enough to build oil pressure, even if it is primed.

myusersname
Zip Code: 23089

Postby myusersname » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:59 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:BTW, you won't be able to crank the engine long enough and fast enough to build oil pressure, even if it is primed.

That tidbit probably saved me three or four hours of head scratching lol. Thanks.

myusersname

Postby myusersname » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:04 pm

Also the light switch is gone. I read on here that switch also controls voltage regulation to charge the battery. Will I have issues with this switch gone?

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:56 pm

It depends. If the tractor has a generator equipped with just a cut out, yes. The light switch to which you refer had a resister to step down the voltage to the battery. If it has a voltage regulator, or an alternator with an internal regulator, the step down resistor is not required.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

myusersname

Postby myusersname » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:44 pm

:D :lol: You guys have no idea how great a thread title I have created for myself.

I got the old girl home. I drove it on and off the trailer and around a little. The left side of the rear end is loud and that brake pedal is slightly lower than the right one. I have not checked fluids in the rear.

The wiring is screwed up. I connected a 6V battery up as positive ground. It started this way and the ammeter showed charging. When I shut her off I heard the noise up front again. I got a look before pulling the battery off. It was the generator turning like an electric motor. Pulled to battery off and it stopped but the battery post are hot. The generator has one wire the goes to the ammeter. I know this isn't right. The rest of the times I started it I pulled the battery off once it was running and it continued to run. After a couple times of running it on and off she stopped starting. The starter slowed down a lot, so I think there is a short or its wired into a short and the new battery is too drained to fire her up again. I didn't try jumping it off the truck.

Instead I let her rest and thought, "Hey I should power wash all the crap off the old girl!" The top came pretty clean. A little rubbing and a good primmer and I might have something nice. The grill is gone and that radiator was looking at me with dirt dauber cities all over, they were no match for my power washer. However neither was the radiator as bright green antifreeze flowed out of the crevasses. :-:-):

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:54 am

You don't want to power wash the radiator.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:17 am

myusersname wrote:When I shut her off I heard the noise up front again. I got a look before pulling the battery off. It was the generator turning like an electric motor.
Cutout or cutout portion of regulator is stick in closed position.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:52 am

Eugene wrote:
myusersname wrote:When I shut her off I heard the noise up front again. I got a look before pulling the battery off. It was the generator turning like an electric motor.
Cutout or cutout portion of regulator is stick in closed position.

Or a wiring error that is bypassing the cut-out , directly connecting the generator to the ammeter.
The generator has one wire the goes to the ammeter.
seems like a likely place to start.

Make it match this;

myusersname

Postby myusersname » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:16 am

Mike in Louisiana wrote:You don't want to power wash the radiator.

Hows that saying go "A day late...?"

Eugene wrote:Cutout or cutout portion of regulator is stick in closed position.

I was also PM this information thanks.

So I pulled the hood off to get a look at the wiring.

generator description.png

I think its correct. I tightened up the generator belt so it would turn better with the engine as it was quite loose. Then put it all back together and cranked her up. It ran much better. At idle the ammeter showed 0 charge, throttled up shows charging and shut down shows discharging. The battery post did not get hot like before. Maybe the generator not turning much or at all was causing a short???? There still seems to be an electrical issue. With the switch off connecting the battery causes at lot of sparking at the posts like it is still a closed circuit. The negative lead goes to the starter and from the same post a wire goes back to the ammeter. Connecting the battery with the switch off still makes the ammeter jump to discharge. Thanks.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:19 pm

Disconnect the B wire at the regulator. The B (battery) is the center wire in the photo - says amp meter.

See if you get a spark when hooking up the battery cables. No spark, regulator cut out stuck in closed position.

The cut out is the connect/disconnect switch within the regulator.
I have an excuse. CRS.

myusersname

Postby myusersname » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:28 am

Ok I'll try that next time I fool with it. Got to order a radiator. Just as well, the sweet corn has come in and I don't have extra time for a few weeks. I'll keep everyone posted.

myusersname

Postby myusersname » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:06 pm

New radiator and gasket arrived today. It appears that unbolting the front steering casting with the radiator on it and separating it from the engine is the best way to go for this?? Seems like there would be a better way. I hope I don't run into Chauvin's problems that he had with his radiator!!

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
52 F-Cub
49 F-Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:16 pm

myusersname wrote:... It appears that unbolting the front steering casting with the radiator on it and separating it from the engine is the best way to go for this?? Seems like there would be a better way...

There is a better way. I use 3/8" drive socket and a ratchet with a long extension that reaches above the radiator. Works very well for me. No muss/no fuss.

Bill
"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:24 pm

myusersname wrote:...It appears that unbolting the front steering casting with the radiator on it and separating it from the engine is the best way to go for this?? Seems like there would be a better way...

You are likely to break a few bolts when removing the radiator after 65+ years (if it has never been off). You can access the backside of the radiator bolts without removing the casting if you remove the fan and shroud (turn the fan shaft and not the nut), and use the right extensions and universal socket. It helps sometime to take a rod long enough to reach the bolts and hit them sharply with a hammer, use liberal penetrating lube and you might get lucky. At least you can get to any that break after the radiator is removed. Be sure to chase the threads and use some never-sieze when reinstalling the new radiator. New bolts (some prefer stainless) is a must. Stan