This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Did I do any major damage yet???

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Did I do any major damage yet???

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:05 am

About the only way something could be leaking there is a crack in the rear of the head or block. Never heard of one cracking on the rear. A more likely reason would be a weeping head gasket. Unfortunately, add in, stop-leak sealers don't work very well in a thermo-siphon cooling system like a CUB.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

mva1958
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23314

Postby mva1958 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:56 am

myusersname wrote:Filled her up with water today and ran her around a bit. The power washing and new paint job showed me that the oil pan has a small leak around the gasket. However there was also water dipping from the bell housing/engine connection point. It appeared to have some antifreeze in it but I'm not 100% sure. Is there anything that would leak water here? It could be water still in there from 3-4 days ago from power washing I guess but seems unlikely. It was definitely a small amount of water but wanted to run it by the experts! Thanks.

It may be coming from the access hole beneath the throw-out bearing. If you got some water in there it would seep out past the cover plate and drip from the lowest point.
If only Mrs. Hoyt and Mrs. Clagwell had gotten along...

myusersname
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 23089

Postby myusersname » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:31 pm

Thanks guys I think I'll just watch the water level for a while.

Ok next issue.

So I got some new cultivator shanks $$$$$$. This free tractor is really costing me.

So I took her around to some of the finished corn plots to see where the shanks should go. My two row planter is setup wide to even the row spacing because my other tractor has wide turf tires. The cub is set narrow front and rear. With the current setup, the cub barely gets outside of two rows.

I don't think flipping the rear tires around will give me enough clearance to cultivate the outsides.

I don't want to move my planter spacing unless absolutely necessary. Suggestions please.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:51 pm

From your earlier pictures, we can see you have the complete cultivator tool bars, front and rear. If you post a picture of your shanks and how they are set, we may be able to give some suggestions. Anyhting you can add about your soil and weeds might help too.

myusersname
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby myusersname » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:26 pm

Thanks Jim. I should of snapped a pic of the clearance tire to corn.

Yeah the tool bars are on and correct (90% sure anyway). The shanks are not on yet. They are these:

I don't have the short straight tool bars that up front. Perhaps if I had those I would have a bit more options.

Soil is mainly sandy to slight red clay.

I suppose I was really wondering about additional rear tire spacers, do they exsist?

myusersname
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby myusersname » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:50 pm

Looking at the manual, I'm not sure what the tire spacing diagram is showing me. :lost:

myusersname
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby myusersname » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:07 pm

AH HA http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=86456

Love this forum!

Now is this best done with the wheels off or can I loosen the bolt up and push/pull the rim to the right location?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:16 pm

OK, you're using spring trip shanks. How many do you have? What row spacing are you working with? What crop(s)?

Return to “Farmall Cub”