Cub carb float setting

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Cub carb float setting

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:51 pm

This Cub that I'm working on hadn't run in 8 years. I put the full carburetor kit in it, set the float to the specified height, double checked the float height, triple checked the float height, took the carb apart again and checked the float height just for good measure, and double checked it one final time. 1-13/32" from the machined surface on the top half to the bottom of the float at full drop.

The tractor would not start. No fuel would flow to the carb.

Take the bottom half of the carb off, and fuel would flow like crazy. Put it back on flow would stop.

Once again I checked, double checked, triple checked, cross referenced, checked again, double checked once more. The float height was correct.

The problem was the float was hitting the bottom of the carb bowl and pushing the needle closed! What the heck?

I ended up eyeballing the float height and it runs perfect. At factory spec, I just wouldn't work.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Re: Cub carb float setting

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:34 pm

Matt, Did you also set the float drop? There used to be some aftermarket floats that had a hinge/pivot that was not the same length as OEM. Not sure if either of these was your problem.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Re: Cub carb float setting

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:12 pm

Yes, I set the float for both rise and drop.