Hello guys! Cub issues :(

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Beast5500
Zip Code: 17756

Hello guys! Cub issues :(

Postby Beast5500 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:10 am

Hello everyone, I'm new here so forgive my cub noobness... I'm trying to learn as much as I can by reading through everything. But now I'm At the point of frustration.. I got this cub from my
Dad who had is for probably a good 20 years. It's been a tractor tractor.. Run hard... Never maintained... Beat. So one day it don't start.. Sooo there it sat in the garage for the last 3 years. So I brought it to my house and started tinkering. I know
My way around cars so how hard can it be right?! Yea... No... So I had no spark initially. Cleaned the points ripped the mag all apart. Refined the rotor and mag to engine. Cleaned everything. Got that working finally. Got a nice blue spark from
Plug wire to block. Then started on the carb. The cub is a 1948
But has a zenith Carb on it. Ripped that app apart. Soaked it in carb clean. Cleaned all
Jets and such. Put everything back together. Nothing... I got one single
Fire from 10 or so 5 sec starter cycles. Even tried a squirt of carb clean.. Nothing... And when I'm done cranking it like drips gas out the carb inlet!?? So I was thinking
Maybe it's out of firing order or something. So I rechecked everything. Looks alright. Thought maybe 180 out?? Tried switching 1 and 4 wires.. Nothing... I'm lost... Please someone give me
Some
Guidance.. Maybe with you cub gods help I can get this thing working... :worthy: :help: :lost:

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Hello guys! Cub issues :(

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:34 am

There's no magic to it. If you can figure out the timing on a v8 engine this will be half as hard because it only has half as many cylinders.

Fuel dripping from the carb means it's getting too much fuel. Too much choke, or the bowl needle is stuck open. The difference is if the drip is short-lived, or continuous.

First off make sure at least one plug is sparking. Also do you hear the magneto making a snap sound about every 1/2 revolution of the engine? That is the impulse coupler working. If that isn't working the magneto won't make a hot enough spark for starting.

Get the engine up on compression on the #1 (front) cylinder. Put your thumb over the open hole and slowly roll the engine over by hand until you feel pressure. Then line up the mark on the front pulley to the pointer on the engine block.

Now take the distributor cap off. The rotor contact should be directly underneath the post leading to the #1 spark plug. If it isn't, there's your problem. Now you have to figure out why.

Magnetos only have a limited range of adjustment so you need to have everything timed right. If you messed with the gears or the drive dog on the magneto, and didn't get everything put back exactly as before, it will be off too far to adjust.

Clip
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 24551

Postby Clip » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:20 am

I had spark, air and fuel and fought it for days. Cleaned carb, new plugs, etc. Timed it five or six times, even timed it 180 out and back again. Finally replaced the coil and started the first try. I guess I wasn't getting spark under compression even though it was sparking outside the head. Now it fires easily within the first crank.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:08 pm

Go back and recheck ignition timing. Not starting with starting fluid pretty much eliminated carb. Fuel dripping from carb after cranking over several times with choke out is normal. Take number one plug out and turn with crank till you feel it start to build pressure, stop and check rotor location, should be a bit before #1 terminal on cap, which is normally about 12:30 to 1 o'clock. As you slowly continue to turn the crank, mag should trip when the notch on pulley lines up with the pointer, and after trip the rotor should be at #1 plug terminal. Also when you get this done make sure you have compression on all 4 cylinders by turning with crank, a sticking intake valve will keep from starting.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Beast5500

Postby Beast5500 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:12 pm

Alright! Thank you guys for the help! Ok, I went back over the ignition timing and everything is good there. The rotor is at 12-12:30ish right after the click after tdc on the compression stroke. I did have the rotor off but read how to
Retime the mag rotor with the little groves. The carb only
Leaks right after cranking so I figured that's because it was not being burned.
I honestly think clip might be right. I never thought of
That. Maybe the coil is strong enough to fire outside but not under compression. Tomorrow I'm going to try hooking up an external coil and see if it will turn over. Thank you guys so
Much for the direction!! I'll report back how i make out!

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:39 am

The clock position of the rotor is not as important as whether or not it is under the tower that leads to the #1 spark plug at that point. On a distributor the normal position for that is more like 1:30.

Beast5500

Postby Beast5500 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:54 pm

Ha! guess what guys!... you would seriously laugh... i took an old distributor from one of my old cars with an internal coil and rigged it up and rotates the rotor to one of the spark plug wires and hooked everything up and it fired up! oh my... some of you would die inside if you saw the contraption i had rigged up... anyway... soooo.... it was the coil after all...

so my question is... how do you change the J4 coil??? does the whole thing just come out ??

anyway... thoughts on replace that coil or got external?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Farmall-Cub-Cub ... 3aa982f764

$60 vs $20??

Clip
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 24551

Postby Clip » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:04 pm

Replace the coil, I got mine from Steiner. Expensive but fit perfect and fired right up. Plus it looks correct!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:09 pm

To replace the coil remove the magneto, then the top cover. Then the bolts holding the core to the magneto body. Remove the lead from the coil going to the bolt where the points connect. Then the lead can be pulled up through the grommet and the coil and core removed. Press the core out of the old coil and into the new one. then reconnect it all, and time the magneto. It sounds much worse than it is.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Beast5500

Postby Beast5500 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:41 pm

Thanks john!! very helpful!!! got everything all working again!! :)

well now off to the next project,

i have a McCormic-Deering blade.. that is missing Some parts... now im handy with a welder and have access to steel, so i figured with some of your help on dimensions i can make the missing parts..

well... im missing the bell crank extension, which is used in the grader position to go from the blade to the hydro...

and my most important thing im missing, (i have chores waiting for this) is its use in the front position... i have all the stuff to hook it up, just nothing to raise or lower it... im missing the lifting lever (5650 146 r3) and the front lifting rod (650 136 r2),