Seat mounting bolts and radiator mounting bolts.

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DDean
Zip Code: 53566
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub

Seat mounting bolts and radiator mounting bolts.

Postby DDean » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:30 pm

First question, the bolts that hold the seat frame to the rear frame of the tractor are just gobs of metal not even resembling bolt heads? They actually look like they have been welded in place? Not for certain. I have applied liberal amounts of pb blaster with no results. I have tried to drive a impact socket over what looks like the remnants of the bolt head to no avail. I have even tried to use a air chisel to try and knock them loose, to no avail. The bolts literally look like the heads have merged with what looks like a spring bar and the frame portion, which is why I believe they may have been welded, I used the air chisel to try and remove it, but it may be a weld as the air chisel just dances around it and does nothing. Any good ways of getting these off without damaging the seat frame? Next up will be a torch if I cant get them out of there, I just didn’t want to ruin the seat frame.

Second question, I can get almost all of the bolts loose around the radiator base except the ones on the corners and sides. Is there a special wrench or a thin wall socket to get on them without slipping? The bolts are right next to the fan shroud housing and a socket wont go on and a wrench just slips off.

In the next weekend or two, I am looking to split the tractor into three sections and just go through everything on it. I feel it needs it as it wasn’t taken very well care of. But these two things are kinda in my way at the moment and I figured I would ask before I broke something and then feel horrible. Broken bolts and small stuff I can handle, but broken or damaged cast not so well.

Please :help:

myusersname
Zip Code: 23089

Re: Seat mounting bolts and radiator mounting bolts.

Postby myusersname » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:58 pm

I will pass it on to you as it was told to me from the elders. For the radiator, get a long extension (20" or so) and use a 12 point socket and ratchet. Go slow.

IDK about the seat.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:32 am

On the seat bolts... weld a nut onto the remaining bolt stub. Not only will it give you something to get a wrench on, the heat will help to loosen things up. Keep up with the PB Blaster treatments. A thin wall socket should fit on the radiator bolts. Use the same PB Blaster treatment there.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

DDean

Postby DDean » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:44 am

So I am correct in assuming the shroud is to close to the bolts then and have to get on them at an angle? Interesting they made it like that.

Thanks Don, I thought about that last night after I wrote this out.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:43 pm

Take the shroud and fan off. It should be a little easier, that way. When removing the fan, turn the shaft not the nut.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

thiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35216
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub
1949 Cub
2011 JD X320

Postby thiggy » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:04 pm

Myusername, didn't you mean to use a 6 point socket?
Since retirement, the things I miss most are the holidays!

Clip
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
Zip Code: 28479

Postby Clip » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:18 am

A 6-point socket will give less chance to round off, but a 12-point allows for more options to position the ratchet handle away from obstructions. This would be similar to Snap-On using a dual-pawl, 72 tooth mechanism to allow ratcheting in tighter areas vs having to swing the handle more to get it to click.

DDean

Postby DDean » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:21 pm

Ya, 12 point didnt work so well, kept trying to round the bolt heads off but the 6 point actually bit right in and took them out. Unfortunately, my assumption on the seat mounting bolts was correct. Those babies are welded in. I have no idea why someone would do that, but they did. Now I need to try my skill at getting on them with a torch to cut the welds off to remove them.

Right now the tractor is in 4 basic parts, (front end, engine, torque tube and rear end) good thing to. Bottom sump of the radiator when I removed it was like brown mud, literally. Another good pressure washing should take good care of it. Then I’ll be on to tearing down the motor, since the radiator sump was nasty, I know the jacket inside the motor will be too. I am so glad I never bothered to start it first.

By the way, the bolts I have been removing, they have, I cant tell what it is but a dot of some sort in the middle of the head, I am assuming from factory when made. Are these bolts still available? Radiator bolts I would love to replace, the heads are pretty rusted and threads are almost gone. Torque tube to engine bolts are bent a little, I am assuming they had bounced the tractor pretty hard a few times? Yes, I am chasing all holes, nothing worse then a stripped bolt going back together.

One last thing, if anyone has removed or lost your inspection hole cover to the clutch, get it replaced. I split the engine and there was a huge paper wasp nest built inside the torque tube around the drive shaft. They did not want me removing the engine. I let them cool down a while and came back and just lit them up with wasp and hornet spray.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:29 pm

I use carb cleaner on wasps. Then you don't need to deal with toxic stuff later.

Scrivet
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:42 pm

Dot head bolts are original IH when they made their own bolts. Don't think anybody is making replacements. I guess you could take a regular bolt and turn just a little bit off the head in a lathe and leave a dot. Seem to think someone may have put a dab of JB weld on the head and shaped that. Once painted it looks original.

Not just the clutch hole cover but keep corks or bolts in the implement mounting pad holes as well. They are open into the torque tube. A flywheel dust cover wouldn't hurt either.

DDean

Postby DDean » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:56 pm

bob in CT wrote:I use carb cleaner on wasps. Then you don't need to deal with toxic stuff later.

Brake cleaner works to, I found out in a huff a few years ago working on a Oliver 77. I opened the toolbox on the tractor and they were right there looking at me, I had brake cleaner in my hand and just annihilated them on the spot. Hot humid days they don’t like to be disturbed, they have a pretty big attitude worse then normal.

DDean

Postby DDean » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:59 pm

Scrivet wrote:Dot head bolts are original IH when they made their own bolts. Don't think anybody is making replacements. I guess you could take a regular bolt and turn just a little bit off the head in a lathe and leave a dot. Seem to think someone may have put a dab of JB weld on the head and shaped that. Once painted it looks original.

Thanks for this tip.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:02 pm

I made a spreadsheet for all the bolts on my 1950 Cub and through the forum I was able to find every one I needed. I did use grade 9 bolts for some applications, like head bolts and the fine thread bolts in the front suspension. The radiator bolts and dogleg screws are good candidates for stainless steel. The parts manual has all the fasteners listed to secure each part. Once in a while you will find a part number instead of a bolt size for a special fastener- head bolts, flywheel bolts, etc.

This is the best parts book to download: http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/download.php?fname=./files/Tractor%20Parts%20Manuals/TC-37F%20Rev%206%208-79%20OCR.pdf

DDean

Postby DDean » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:09 am

Thank you, I didn’t see that manual when I was in there the other day. I so far have a small written list of things I need to get that definitely needs to be replaced. Mostly bolts, fan shroud screws, radiator and now a clutch and then a few things that were missing. I cant believe for being 66 years old, it is coming apart nicely, better then what I would have ever thought.