Coolant squirt out overflow tube

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Coolant squirt out overflow tube

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:59 pm

I had been mowing with my '64 for about 30 minutes when a 1/4" stream of coolant came out the hole where the overflow tube attaches (it's missing). The stream was strong enough that it shot past my left shoulder about six inches out. I shut down the mower and throttled back to head back to the barn. I had flushed and refilled the system about a month ago so it may have had a little too much coolant in it. The radiator cap that came with it has a spring, so I assume it's for a pressurized system. I don't think the '64 is supposed to have that but I didn't think it would matter that much. I've refilled the rad and switched caps. Not having heard this incident described before, I thought I'd check and see if anyone has had it happen before. Any suggestions on other causes would be appreciated too.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

tst
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Re: Coolant squirt out overflow tube

Postby tst » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:25 pm

run it with out the cap on it and watch for bubbles in the coolant, if you have something like a bad head gasket it could build pressure in the system

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:32 pm

most likely just too much fluid in the radiator Bob. wrap a rag around it until you put a tube on it :D I ran a 140 like that for 10 years, then sold it , with the rag still on it
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

randallc
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.

Postby randallc » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:32 am

Just leave the radiator cap loose and let it finds its level. But do keep a check on it. It should level out just above the fins.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:35 am

Even if nothing is wrong, the pressure will build in the radiator as the coolant warms up and expands when you have a pressurized cap. When it reaches the limit of the cap, the cap will allow excess pressure to escape out the overflow. If you've overfilled the radiator, you get a squirt of near-boiling-hot coolant.

If the cap was non pressurized, it would just dribble.

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:02 am

Bob, Were you on flat ground. mine does not have the overflow tube either. The road ditch is just barely to steep to go side ways. If I go straight down the hill fluid will shoot back at me like yours did if the engine is warmed up. I just go up the hill and all is fine.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:21 am

Mike, I was mowing on flat ground. I'll watch for bubbles that would indicate a bad head gasket. Hopefully it was just spitting off excess. I just wouldn't have expected a horizontal squirt that made it past where I was sitting.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:22 am

Mike in Louisiana wrote:. . . The road ditch is just barely to steep to go side ways. . . .

As illustrated here?

cavingreer
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 39120

Postby cavingreer » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:24 pm

@ JimBecker - YIKES!
When I first ran mine around the yard the other day I filled it up to the neck and it dribbled and dripped non-stop and was spraying on the alternator and front of the engine. No overflow tube on mine either and a non-pressurized cap. Been raining here ever since so I haven't been able to get back to it and figure out if that was just overflow or if I screwed up the tower clamp on the water neck and it won't seal.
IT Guy by day, Rockstar by night, Amateur tractor restorer on occasion 8)
1949 Farmall Cub #94459 - Restoration Thread
"Organized chaos is better than no chaos at all"