Magneto info

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
JSTRICKLAND
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 28601

Magneto info

Postby JSTRICKLAND » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:45 am

Well the Cub has quit running and I am pretty sure I know why. The small gear inside the mag that turns the rotor button has stripped all but on tooth. The Cub was running as good as ever a month ago but last week while trying to start it it gave up. My question today is, are there any holes for lubrication of the gear in question? Dad showed me a H4 magneto lube hole for the big gear but the gears he has are metal, all of mine in the J4 are plastic. I could not find any binding or wobble in the mag shaft. Maybe it was just it's time to go. The part in question is #251526r1. Any light on the subject would be appreciated. :help:

James

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Magneto info

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:51 am

that gear along with the one on the base of the rotor are lubricated by high temperature grease packed in the housing around them.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

JSTRICKLAND
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 28601

Postby JSTRICKLAND » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:22 am

So there is no way to lube these gears without removing the cover off of the rotor button? The groove or slot that is milled into the rotor button shaft, what is that for?

James

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:04 pm

Hi,
That is right, you have to remove the little cover that holds the rotor on, to grease the parts.
I don't have a magneto anymore, I don't know what groove you mean. :)

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Rick Spivey » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:13 pm

The shaft for the pinion gear should have a flat milled on one side, which mates with the inside of the pinion to insure you don't spin on the shaft. If that shaft also has a slot milled in the end, I don't know what it is for. The grease should be packed around the rotor and pinion teeth, inside the bakelite housing, as referenced before. Make sure the rotor cast line mates to the pinion dot or triangular for proper timing. If greased correctly, that should be sufficient for many years. There is an oiler on the magneto, which allows light weight machine oil to get to the oolite bushing internal. That should be oiled lightly (2-3 drops) once or twice a year. Do not over oil your magneto, it will interfere with the spark.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:00 pm

I believe the notch on the rotor pivot shaft is to allow a little grease to stay there for better lubrication when the rotor is slid down over the shaft.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!