farmall cub sickle help

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
workacub
Zip Code: 23831

farmall cub sickle help

Postby workacub » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:26 am

Hello I am the newbie here and have recently purchased 3 sickle mowers in various degrees of conditioning and none of which is a working model. If I can take pics of them could someone look at it and tell me what im missing? I bought the 3 to make one good one :oops: or close to a good one. What sickle knives fit it? Size belt do I need? Is there an area where I can get the pitman arm specific to the sickle ? I appreciate the help in advance.

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: farmall cub sickle help

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:36 am

The guys at TM are making new pitman sticks, if you have the ends to install. May not be listed on the website yet, but call them.

I have a couple of parts sickle bar mowers, so I can probably supply a part, if you need it.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

tmays
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 39180
Tractors Owned: 1948 Allis Chalmers G
1947 Cub
1952 Cub

154 Cub LoBoy

Postby tmays » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:17 am

We like pics. :-). I'm sure we can help. I'd also advise taking a look at the Cub 22 operator and parts manuals here on the forum.
Thomas

workacub

Postby workacub » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:04 am

Thanks everyone. I will get some pics and an photobucket acct and post some

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:08 am

On the belt question, are were 2 different size drive pulleys that go on the PTO shaft. They aren't much different but enough so that 2 different belt sizes are used. Leave the belt question until we have the rest of it sorted out. The sickle knives are common to most IH sickle type mowers. There are several styles and you may want to match what you have.

Also, be aware that there is a different mower for the Lo-Boy. Not likely, but you could have one of them in the mix. Many parts for it are different.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:16 pm

Getting familiar with the manual and part numbers is always a good place to start.

Here is a place to start, but as mentioned there were some variations.

http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/index.php?dirpath=./files/Cub%20Attachments/Mowers&order=0

workacub

Postby workacub » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:56 pm

Thanks.. I didn't know there was different versions... I hope they are all for my version.

Scrivet
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:38 pm

workacub wrote:Thanks everyone. I will get some pics and an photobucket acct and post some
No need for photobucket really. Just follow along these instructions.

When you hit "post reply" and the typing box opens up, below the "save draft" "preview" and "submit" buttons below the box are two tabs "Options" and "Upload Attachment". Click on "Upload attachment".

Just follow along and "chose the file". Navigate to where you have it on your computer, I like to move what ever picture I want to the desktop to make it easier to find and know it's the one I intended and not my great niece's second birthday party.

Then "add file".

Back in the text typing box; move your blinking text cursor to where you want the picture and click "place inline".

There are some size requirements on the pictures so you may get a message about that. If so you need to use a photo editing program to save it in a smaller file size/different format. Some programs have a "best for email" or "best for web" selection when you make a copy of the picture and then go to save the copy of the picture. You can also reduce the resolution on most cameras and then take another picture.

LeeC
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 22150
Tractors Owned: 2 1962 LoBoys
1 1964 LoBoy
1 1965 LoBoy
1 1966 LoBoy

Postby LeeC » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:17 am

I would start by looking at a parts manual. The combined owner’s manual and parts list in Bob’s link works fine. Since you have 3 parts mowers, you have choices. Do you have a PTO pulley? That is one of parts that is most likely to be missing. What length bars do you have (4-1/2 or 5 foot)? Off the top of my head, the 4-1/2 foot bar has 17 rock guards and the 5 foot has 19. Five foot bars are more popular. Are the nuts holding the rock guards on the bottom or top? The later (and more popular) bars have the nuts on the top of the bar. The pitman end on the drive side can either have a bushing or be a bearing. Bearing is better. Look at the fit between the shaft and shaft tube. A worn unit will have a lot of wear in the bushings inside the shaft and will cause unwanted shaking. Most that I have seen are pretty tight, but not all. Speaking of the drive shaft, the rear pulley and the nut holding on the pitman arm are left hand thread. Another wear item to look at closely is inner shoe hinge at the clevis pins. They are almost always worn to some degree. You will want to compare this area between your three mowers. One of the reasons the clevis pin holes wear is poor fit between the hinge and shoe (there is a significant gap). A trick to tighten things up is to place washers on the clevis pins to close up the gap between the shoe and hinge. You will need implement bolts to attach the mower to the tractor (search the forum if you do not know what they are). If you do not use implement bolts, the mower will shake loose. Also, it is best to use a set screw to secure the drag bar in the bar socket. The set screw can be ordered through McMaster Carr. Hope that helps. If you were a little closer, I would offer to drive down. --Lee
Circle of Safety

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:43 pm

Hi,
Here is a picture of the IH bolts Lee was talking about above. They use 3 per mower, where the tapered holes are in the mounting brackets. 2 on the clutch housing, and 1 at the rear bracket. The other hole at the rear bracket uses a regular bolt.
There are different lengths available, the rear one is longer than the 1 inch bolt in the pics. It has to go through the drawbar bracket, and the mower bracket. If you have a Fast Hitch, the rear bolts needed to hold on the mower bracket are longer than with a drawbar.
The tapered head bolts are also used to hold the drawbar on, and on other IH implements with tapered holes to mount them to the tractor. Pics are from TM Tractor.
Also here's pics of the set screw to use at the front, at the square hole. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/tm-tractor/gim/drbolt_001.htm
Attachments
set screw.jpg
set screw 2.jpg

workacub

Postby workacub » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:01 am

Thanks all I forgot to take pics of the mowers but I will