Fuel line replacement

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Scrivet
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Fuel line replacement

Postby Scrivet » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:41 pm

I need a new fuel line for one of my Cubs. I know I have some ferrules, brake line nuts, and 5/16 brake line "in stock" but I was going by the local farm and home store and decided to pick up a few extra ferrules. Went back to the plumbing department and opened the little plastic bin, grabbed four ferrules, but didn't see the little tag. In the past each one had a little tag (with a handwritten stock number) on a string that ALWAYS got all tangled together in the bin. I always thought "that had to be a huge waste of time for someone to write the stock number on that tag and then tie one on each ferrule". Now minutes before closing time I found myself thinking, "boy this is going to be a huge waste of time while they come back here to find the number on the bin". That's when inspiration struck! :idea: I pulled out my phone and snapped a picture of the tag on the bin. 8) Walking up to the checkout I thought "they can just read the numbers off and type them in the register and I'll be on my way". Got to the checkout and laid the four ferrules on the counter. The cashier (female, 1/3 my age) got a deer in the headlights look and started fumbling for a rather thick notebook binder by the cash register. I held up my phone with the bin label picture on it and asked "would this help?" She smiled and drew her scanner pistol, zapped my phone, and had it back in it's holster faster than the Lone Ranger. I was both proud of myself for the picture and disappointed that I hadn't though about scanning the picture.

I felt better when I stopped at AutoZone and asked for 5/16" brake line the two counter guys looked at each other for a few seconds and then one said "we don't have brake line in that size". I told them, "YES, you do." So we walked back to the end of the shelves and he started looking and by golly, there was 5/16" brake line :D . He held up a piece about 24" long. I asked looking at the longer pieces on the next shelf over, "got anything longer?". So then he noticed the longer pieces also and got a five footer. I also picked up some extra nuts while I was there. Didn't think about it at the time but now I'm wondering; any potential problems with using steel nuts and the brass ferrules on the "pot metal" carb and sediment bowl?

Clip
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 24551
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Fuel line replacement

Postby Clip » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:50 am

Only problems you might have are over tightening the fittings and stripping threads. It's a good idea to use two steel fittings to crimp the ferrule in the position you want, then install on the carb/bowl. This way the aluminum/zinc/whatever doesn't see the full torque needed to crush the ferrule.