This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

172 Planter Surprise

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
PVF1799
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12009
eBay ID: kepara
Tractors Owned: 1929 Farmall Regular #T111250 (Original Owner)
1942 Farmall M #55654
1948 Farmall Cub #21005
1955 Farmall Cub #190769
1961 Cub Cadet #16509
1975 Cub Cadet 1250H
197x IH 990 Haybine
1994 JD 5320 Diesel
Attachments: Woods 42F Fast Hitch, L38 Disc Fast Hitch, F11 Plow Fast Hitch, Land Plow, Snow Plow, Grader Blade, Planter w/Fertilizer, Cultivators, Hilling Disks, Sickle Bar Mower(2), IH 7' Sickle Bar Mower, Flail Mower and 5' International Belly Mower.
Circle of Safety: Y

172 Planter Surprise

Postby PVF1799 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:29 am

I've started sandblasting the 172 Planter - the portion that runs in the soil. I'll update the main post later, but wanted to share this sandblasting cabinet find. My whole life whenever we installed the planter into the Universal Mount the LARGE bolts were always a pain to get up through the holes. Had to back the large nuts way off and fight them up into the Universal Mount.

Last night I took one of the main arms off the planter. On the underside where it clamps to the planter crossbar I noticed a light piece of rusted tin - bent out if the way and clearly rusted away and broken off. It was under one of the bolts. I've seen it for years hanging there. Always assumed it was the original part number tag as I've seen a lot of those in the NOS stuff in the barn. Once it was totally disassembled I found a similar piece under the other bolt.

It wasn't till I was sandblasting and looking at the bottom of the bracket I realized that - The Piece of Tin was originally a strap that went between two bolts to keep the LARGE mounting bolt fully extended out of the planter so the bolt cannot drop down when you're trying to couple it with the Universal Mount.

I will be making a couple of these - tired of fighting with the bolts.
Attachments
IMG_5020 (916x1280).jpg

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 172 Planter Surprise

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:35 am