This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Working the cub or trying to atleast

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
workacub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 23831

Working the cub or trying to atleast

Postby workacub » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:12 am

While working the cub this weekend I did notice it started to miss pretty bad when under a load and if I fed it fuel it would hiccup and miss. I have all new electrical components the carb was rebuilt maybe 7 years ago by someone. Is it hard to rebuild a carb? The man that did mine is not around my area anymore. I assume its the carb because fires right up idles great but when under a load it spudders and will die. When it spuddered I stopped and it seemed like it never could get right again and would cut off it did that a few times I never had that happen before. What do you all think? Here is a few pics of me working it I didnt have a camera person just me so there not that great but you can see what I was doing. I do know shes got some leaks that need attention which will be my winter project.

Got a good cleaning

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Re: Working the cub or trying to atleast

Postby tmays » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:07 am

First I would clean the main jet. Then I would make sure I have good fuel flow out of the carb bowl drain.
Thomas

workacub
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby workacub » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:01 am

tmays wrote:First I would clean the main jet. Then I would make sure I have good fuel flow out of the carb bowl drain.

Thanks I will try that

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:05 am

Bowl should be full when you first pull plug resulting in good flow for a bit. You're interested in the flow after bowl drains
Thomas

gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16345

Postby gusbratz » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:52 pm

sounds to me like a fuel delivery issue, you may have a clogged fuel filter or sediment bowel. make sure you have a clear main jet and good flow. that carb is so simple you will have no problem.

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby randallc » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:17 am

Most of the time a carb does not need to be rebuilt, just cleaned good and put back together. When you tackle the project be careful when separating the two halves and lift straight up to keep from breaking the idle tube. As stated above, gas flow sounds like the problem. Check the sediment bowl and make sure it is clean.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

tractard
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19343
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub , 1973 IH Cub , 1528 Massey Ferguson

Postby tractard » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:35 pm

I had the same type of problem this summer when cutting my yard. My cub would start to miss and then die....like it was out of gas. After it would stop a few minutes later it would start right up. Only to die a few minutes later. This is what I did to fix the problem.
1. Close fuel bowl and take off fuel line to carb. and bowl. Blow out fuel line.
2. Take fuel bowl off and clean also do not forget fuel bowl screen.
3. Take carb. off engine and clean it. I didn't take mine apart. I shot the carb. cleaner into the jet. Also don't forget the screen on the fuel inlet side of the carb. Mine screen was found to be real dirty I think that was the problem.

workacub
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby workacub » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:12 pm

Ok. I got to fool with it again and I did as you all said and used a whole can of cleaner on the carb cleaned the bowl blew out the line its still doing the same thing starts up like a champ idles good for a couple minutes then spudders and cuts off like it ran out of gas. " has full tank " It did this about 20 times and I walked away from it. Very frustrating. I did notice when I hit the clutch it would cut off or I could drive it 30 yards it would die. I touched the coil and it was hot as crap not sure if its supposed to be like that or not. :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:36 pm

I reread your first post and you said there were new electrical components. What model cub? 6v or 12v electrical system? Magneto or battery ignition? The coil should not get real hot when you start up and certainally not within a few minutes of running. If cleaning the fuel system did not solve the problem as you indicated, suggest you look at the ignition.
EDIT: Did you check the fuel flow at the carb drain plug and remove the main jet and clean it?
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:47 pm

If you've checked fuel flow and it's good, it's possible float is hanging up as bowl fills back up. Also possible coil is failed. When it dies, pull coil wire from distributor and hold close to ground, turn engine over with ignition on, and see if you have spark. If you have spark, then I'd suggest checking fuel level in bowl as engine is in one of its short running cycles.
Thomas

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:38 pm

staninlowerAL wrote:I reread your first post and you said there were new electrical components. What model cub? 6v or 12v electrical system? Magneto or battery ignition? The coil should not get real hot when you start up and certainally not within a few minutes of running. If cleaning the fuel system did not solve the problem as you indicated, suggest you look at the ignition.
Might answer Stan's questions.

What year Cub? Magneto with external coil?

My guess, ignition problem. Faulty coil - even if new.
I have an excuse. CRS.

workacub
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby workacub » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:43 pm

Thanks for the suggestions its a 52 cub with external coil.. I will test it out tomorrow

workacub
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby workacub » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:51 pm

I tested things out not the coil took carb apart and it had bits and pieces of the cork carb gasket blew out all ports inside and used carb cleaner cleaned bowl and blew out gas line again. Put it together idles alot better but still is missing. I had changed coil rotor button points condenser and wires and cap i had changed the plugs six months prior but figured they were still good I think they are fouled out and will replace those. It ran longer not better still hiccups and backfires.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:31 pm

workacub wrote:.... It ran longer not better still hiccups and backfires.

Have you checked the timing?
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

workacub
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby workacub » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:18 am

ok I took off the cap lined up the marks to TDC and It was not pointing at cylinder one on distributor cap. I took it off placed it pointing where it should put it back in. 2 HRS later I didn't take the hood off and have big hands and couldn't get the bolt in that holds the distributor closest to the motor. I then was really pizzed off so said if I start it and it runs fine I will take the hood off and try. put it back together guess what didn't want to start after 10 mins nothing waited 20 mins tried for 5 mins finally started ran mighty fine I was smiling ear to ear no burping or hiccups test drove it for 50 feet the sob cut off and wouldn't start up just out of curiosity took the motor put it at TDC the button was no where near it is that normal? it will not start at all now. The cub is sure lucky my track loader wasn't near the house or I would have crushed it just for my satisfaction. The cub wins against me it will get drug back to the barn and can stay there till the tires rot and fall off im done with it. I have many tractors that are diesel that are new and old and aren't that finicky to work on. My cub will RIP im done. If my kids want it when they get older they can have it. I don't like problems or constantly fixing things at all. :evil: :evil: :evil: I thank everyone for the advice and help you offered.

Return to “Farmall Cub”