generator

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
greenmountain
Zip Code: 35803

generator

Postby greenmountain » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:18 am

Hey y'all

I have a 52-53 model cub. When I got it the wiring had been mostly removed. All it had was the battery, cables and a hot wire from the battery through the switch to the coil. I had to manually charge the 12V battery monthly. So I went to work on it. It looked stock with many layers of red paint. I figured somewhere underneath there was a 6V positive ground system. I decided to go vintage and restore it. I put in a 6V battery. The generator had no output so I pulled it apart and cleaned out the bug nests and dirt. Put it back together. Polarized it (Battery to the A) and got a little spark. So I did the test using an old simpson analog vom. Gnd the F and measured output on the A. I expected 8V. It is 16V. I guess I am stunned. How can it be a 12V system and look like this? The battery is not connected to the regulator. Would that make a difference? If not, I reckon I will go ahead and treat it like a 12V system and chase it out through the regulator.
Stanley

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: generator

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:35 am

No real surprises in what you measured, unless maybe that you only measured 16 volts.

By directly grounding the generator F terminal, you are bypassing the regulator's ability to limit voltage of the generator, leaving only the battery's ability to limit the voltage. With the battery disconnected from the charging circuit, that limited control is gone too. You shouldn't run it that way, risks damage to the generator. Hook everything up and check the voltage from the generator. It should be somewhat higher than the battery voltage with the engine not running.

greenmountain

Postby greenmountain » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:54 pm

Thanks for the reply. I ran it for just a few seconds while getting the measurement. It had measured zero volts before I cleaned the generator so I am glad to see an output now. I just wasn't sure about the "raw" reading. I will wire it all up and measure again.
Can I slip another question in here?
This regulator has the "L" lug for the extra loads. Can I run that through an ordinary switch and to my headlights? The original switch had the limiting resistor.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:02 pm

Originally the L lug fed the ignition switch which was then jumpered to the light switch. The light switch doesn't need to be anything special, anything that can handle a minimum load of about 20 amps.

greenmountain

Postby greenmountain » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:22 pm

Thanks Jim.
I have seen that diagram somewhere but had forgotten about it. Very handy. I find my amp meter is not working. I hooked it in series with a 6v battery charger and it passes current but reads zero. I replaced it with my old simpsom vom and it reads about 4 amps. It look like water got it the bezel and froze/cracked the glass. Is that a throw away? Maybe I'll crack it open and see what I see.
Anyway, I hooked the simpson vom in series with the BAT from the regulator to the battery. Zero amps. I guess I need a new regulator and new amp meter. I also would like to build a harness. I have a length of 10 gauge but will need some smaller wires. Is there a chart showing the "proper" colors? I wouldn't want to annoy any correct police that look at my work.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:37 pm

Hi,
Here are 2 pages from the 1955 Cub owner's manual. I think the wiring would be the same for a 1953 Cub. We had a 1953 Cub years ago, and the electrical system was the same components as the 1955 Cub. The 2nd page shows what the numbers on the 1st page are. Click on the pics makes them bigger. :)

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... age-38.jpg

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... age-39.jpg

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:14 pm

In '53 they were probably still using cloth wrapped wire, black with various colors of tracers. If you want to go with cloth, you probably just want to get a repro from one of the vendors. Otherwise, the colors in the '55 manual are fine. Of course, you will need a few feet of each color. A repro may not be much more expensive and certainly less work. Last I knew, you could still get a harness made with modern insulation from CaseIH.

greenmountain

Postby greenmountain » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:24 am

After staring at the manual pages I remember I bought a manual and parts list from Binder books a while back. Where did my wife put them?
Thanks for all the help fellers!
Stanley