Transmission countershaft & spline shaft bearings

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
KTzCub
Zip Code: 00000

Transmission countershaft & spline shaft bearings

Postby KTzCub » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:03 pm

Hello,
I am relatively new to the forum but I have appreciated the advice and information made available to members. I have a 1950 Cub that has a very noisy transmission. I was told by a few local Farmall collectors that it was probably the bearings on the spline shaft. When I went to replace the oil in the transmission, I found that it had a fair amount of water in it. That being said, I feel that I should replace the counter shaft and spline shaft bearings. There did not appear to be any damaging rust visible on the gears or shafts. My question is this, can I replace these bearings by just removing the top shifter assembly and torque tube or do I have to remove the differential assembly as well?

Someone I spoke to who seemed to know a lot about Cubs said that this could be done without removal of the differential.
Any information that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Ken

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 12184
eBay ID: adak8965
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Transmission countershaft & spline saft bearings

Postby Cecil » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:09 pm

You will have to split the tractor to change the bearings on both shafts. The top shaft is the input from the engine and to remove the counter shaft you have to remove the nut on the front, remove the ring and pinion and it comes out the back.