Clutch shaft and PTO shaft end to end clearance

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
twobadurina
Zip Code: 28326
Circle of Safety: Y

Clutch shaft and PTO shaft end to end clearance

Postby twobadurina » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:16 pm

I've had issue with the PTO grinding and disengaging under load from a belly mower. I replaced the internal lever that moves the splined collar from the pto shaft onto the clutch shaft without any resolution. Looking through the oil fill plug I can visualize a gap between shaft ends of approx. 1/4". I removed the pto adapter, bearing, and shaft, all appears well. The pto shaft bearing is staked in place and the bearing is mated to the machined face on the shaft, so it is not moving longitudinally and it's splines are in good shape. The bronze bushing in the end of the clutch shaft fits well with the pto shaft guide pin. If I install the pto adapter onto the differential without the differential cover plate, the clutch and pto shafts nearly touch. Anybody know what the clearance between these two shafts are supposed to be? I fear that the clutch shaft has moved forward and I may have to split the tractor, any suggestions? Thanks for your help! Tony Badurina, Cameron, NC.

Charles (49) Mo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63031

Re: Clutch shaft and PTO shaft end to end clearance

Postby Charles (49) Mo » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:45 pm

Are you trying to stop the mower without pushing in the clutch?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:16 pm

I couldn't find a specification/gap in the service manual.

Guessing, 1/32" maybe less - it wasn't much of a gap. It's been a while since I worked on my Cub's PTO and am estimating the gap from memory.
I have an excuse. CRS.

twobadurina

Postby twobadurina » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:27 pm

Charles and Eugene, Thanks for the replies. No I'm not trying to stop the mower without the clutch, and actually it's so bad that the mower won't stay engaged on letting out the clutch, the PTO just grinds. And 1/32" would seem more appropriate than the nearly a 1/4" I am seeing now!. Thanks again! Hey I thinks I got some of that CRS on me too!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:12 pm

Remove the shifter cover and see if you can use a large screwdriver enough to slide the main transmission shaft forward and backward about 3/8 of an inch or so. If yes the front seal retainer may have been put it facing the wrong way. Note, it takes a pretty hard push to slide it either way.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

twobadurina

Postby twobadurina » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:44 pm

Hi John thanks for the suggestion! The front seal retainer you are referring to...is it on the transmission section just where the clutch shaft enters the gearbox? I've been able to grasp the shaft with pliers and move it 1/4" frontward and backward, from inside the gearbox. Tony

twobadurina

Postby twobadurina » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:48 pm

Finally tore into the tranny, found rear clutch shaft bearing shot and front bearing in almost as bad shape. Clucth shaft bushing appears mildly worn and not egg shaped. Guessing after new bearings and seals I'll still have 1/4" gap between clutch shaft and pto shaft. Thanks to all for the input, especially for the tips on the rear section split! Tony Badurina. Now Who's got the best bearing and seal prices? TM has a gasket set for reasonable cost. My best cost for new gaskets, seals, bearings and bushing and pto shift lever shaft is aprox. $375, anybody do better? Thanks again!

clintmo
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 26033
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
55 Cub

Postby clintmo » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:03 pm

I had a similar situation. I had a gap that seemed to large according to correct specifications and I couldn't shrink that gap no matter what I did. This included splitting the tractor to make sure the bearing retainer was installed correctly. The splines on both shafts were pretty worn and I had good used replacements available so I installed them. Put everything back together and it's been working fine running the sickle mower ever since. I sort of determined that a tiny gap between shafts would be ideal, but it just wasn't achievable in my case, and hasn't been necessary so far. I probably have a 1/4" gap currently.

Clint

Urbish
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1948 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Cub-193 Moldboard Plow
Cub-54A Leveling and Grader Blade
Woods 59CF-1 Mower
Wood L306 Mower
Unknown 5' Single Gang Disc Harrow

Postby Urbish » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:35 pm

twobadurina wrote:Finally tore into the tranny, found rear clutch shaft bearing shot and front bearing in almost as bad shape. Clucth shaft bushing appears mildly worn and not egg shaped. Guessing after new bearings and seals I'll still have 1/4" gap between clutch shaft and pto shaft. Thanks to all for the input, especially for the tips on the rear section split! Tony Badurina. Now Who's got the best bearing and seal prices? TM has a gasket set for reasonable cost. My best cost for new gaskets, seals, bearings and bushing and pto shift lever shaft is aprox. $375, anybody do better? Thanks again!

That's about what I spent on bearings, gaskets, and bushings BEFORE I discovered the big crack in my trans housing. You did pretty good.