found a good voltage regulator

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

found a good voltage regulator

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:52 pm

Scrivet has been having having charging problems so while his tractor was at my place getting a second clutch for the summer (ear that finger mounts on broke off) I decided to look into it. Scrivet is a good mechanic, but I have a concrete floor and engine hoist, and Scrivet has a shade tree, so he brought it over here and we worked on it. It shows discharge on ammeter when ignition was turned on, but never showed charge, however the battery always stayed up, until lately that is. It originally had a cutout, but it had been replaced with a regulator having the "L" terminal like the ones that came factory with a regulator (mounted on the generator like a cutout), and sometime in the past the wiring had been modified using both the original powering for the lights and ignition and also the L wiring. The results of having both of them were that it would not show charging. You can see the differences in wiring here, the first is for a cutout system. and the second for a regulator.
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m46/ ... -rev-1.gif
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m46/ ... 8_08-1.gif

To simplify things I moved the wire from the L terminal of the regulator to the battery lead, which while physically different gave me the same wiring as the original cutout configuration, but still had the full regulator function and the meter would show charging. The original regulator would charge some, but the voltage control contacts were burned and arcing and bouncing so that the ammeter was a blur. I tried filing them, but they were so hard they smoothed my point file I installed a regulator Scrivet had bought from a local farm supply, and it would only charge if I ground the F lead. So much for that one.

I took the original regulator to the local NAPA, and they had to do some looking, but found one in another store then got it shipped up. It turned out to be a NAPA Echlin VR850SB, and worked like a charm. It showed a list price of $51 on the ticket, and on line it says $71, but having an account at the local NAPA (Auto Tire and Parts)it ended up costing $38 plus tax.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

tst
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: found a good voltage regulator

Postby tst » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:49 am

The SB on the part # is there cheaper line of parts, stands for "silver box" they have that on many parts, mostly china/Taiwan, some are ok, some are not, at least there is a warranty from napa

Scrivet
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:59 pm

tst wrote:The SB on the part # is there cheaper line of parts, stands for "silver box" they have that on many parts, mostly china/Taiwan, some are ok, some are not, at least there is a warranty from napa

Well shoot, there goes our theory for "SB" standing for Saddle Bracket.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:06 am

Scrivet wrote:
tst wrote:The SB on the part # is there cheaper line of parts, stands for "silver box" they have that on many parts, mostly china/Taiwan, some are ok, some are not, at least there is a warranty from napa

Well shoot, there goes our theory for "SB" standing for Saddle Bracket.
Yup, I figured out that was wrong when I looked up the same number without SB and saw the same type regulator but $10 higher. The SB has a 1 year warranty.

Since it was in a blue and white box I guess they were out of "silver boxes". :wink:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!