Differential shimming

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ian D
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 00000

Differential shimming

Postby Ian D » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:27 pm

Hello
Can anyone direct me to a link or tell me how you guys normally measure the turning resistance of the differential (shimming it up) after fitting new bearings? do you use a spring balance device or something?
I think I may of jumped the gun by putting all the PTO shaft back in first but I did this whilst some shims arrived
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Regards
Ian

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Differential shimming

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:44 pm

Ian, Here's a link to the GSS-1411 Blue Ribbon Service manual section: http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Blue%2 ... ential.htm
I have not personally done this, but I'm sure those that have will chime in with suggestions.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:50 pm

Did you just replace bearings/seals and keep all the other original parts? If so, put all the shims and bearing cariers back in the same EXACT position they came out from. This will almost always be the right answer, but check it.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:20 pm

Jim has the right answer. Bearings are precision items so what you are actually shimming are case variations. If you use the same case. the same shims in the same position should be OK. That said, I used a fish scale for anglers to measure resistance.

Ian D
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Ian D » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:24 am

Thank you very much - it was that rolling torque figure I was looking for - excellent.
I did change both the differential bearings and all the seals, I had intended just putting it back together exactly as it came apart (shim position) however when I was cleaning the shims up on my wire wheel I lost grip of one and it became airbourne! - now finding it should not be such a big task I hear you say! but for the life of me it cannot be found - it must be sitting somewhere or on a ledge in the workshop. I therefore sourced some more shims - hence I just want to make sure the jobs right
Many thanks again for your help and advice - you guys are a credit to tractor circles!
Ian