This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cylinder head cracked

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jh60
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63670
Tractors Owned: 1960 F Cub
Cub Cadet 2072
Craftsman YTS4000
Circle of Safety: Y

Cylinder head cracked

Postby jh60 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:52 am

1960 Fcub. I noticed a coolant leak and initally thought the head gasket leaking. Closer inspection revealed that the head is cracked about 2" long across the head (not lengthwise) between cylinders 3 and 4. I don't have the head off (yet). The engine is running alright, no smoke, there doesn;t appear to be any excessive pressure in the cooling system. I am thinking that the crack I see may be just on the upper portion of that particular cooling passage. How high is the pressure in the cooling system at operating temp? and can I clean the area real good and possible seal it up with jb weld? Thoughts, ideas?
1960 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Re: Cylinder head cracked

Postby danovercash » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:01 am

Others here have done exactly what you want to try. Should work and it will give you time to look for a replacement head. Repair may last a lifetime. Search archives for other similar post. Good luck! BTW, older Cubs are non pressurized, just a rubber gasket inside cap and open to atmosphere thru overflow pipe. If there is a pressure cap on your tractor it's not original.

Picture courtesy TM Tractor. First cap with smooth top.
http://www.tmtractor.com/new/co/co_001newparts.htm
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

SouthernOutlaw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36736

Postby SouthernOutlaw » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:17 am

A 48 cub I purchased years ago came with a cracked head. The head was cracked between the #3,and 4 plugs if my memory is good. Removed the head abd took it to a gentleman who brazed it for me. Never had a problem with it. Don't see why the jb weld want work.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:49 am

Couple of years after I purchased my standard Cub a crack in the head started to leak. The crack had been previously JB Weld patched. Cleaned up the old JB Weld and the crack, applied more JB Weld. My patch held until I replaced the engine, then I replaced the head.

There may be better epoxy's than the standard JB Weld. But the good thing about an epoxy patch is that you do not have to remove the head.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:20 am

The top of the head is not a stress area, the coolant should not have pressure, and the maximum temp unless you let it run low on water should be 200degrees F, so JB Weld can handle it, but you need to use a handheld grinder to V the crack a little just like it is being welded and let it set overnight before putting in use. The regular JB Weld is stronger than the quick weld though it takes longer to set up. I know of one cub (Scrivet's) that has been running for several years with a crack running from the water outlet and a ways across the head with a JB Weld repair on it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:28 am

Freeze cracks are common here. Have several PO brazed ones, that work fine.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”