Main/Clutch shaft needle bearing removal?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
EugeneFromMichigan
Zip Code: 48357

Main/Clutch shaft needle bearing removal?

Postby EugeneFromMichigan » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:43 pm

I'm starting to rebuild the transmission of my 1957 Cub and am at the point of needing to remove and replace the needle bearing for the main shaft (clutch shaft) at the rear of the transmission case. My problem is that I'm not 100% sure just which way it comes out. Common sense would suggest it needs to be driven forward into the transmission case, but a couple of fairly good raps with a hammer and drift produced no noticeable movement. Looking at it from the rear through the differential housing I'd also swear the "opening" in which the bearing sits looks the same or even slightly larger diameter. So before I do something that really messes things up I thought I ask if anyone knows the answer. Knock it forward into the transmission case, or rearward toward the differential? Assuming I'm right and the bearing comes out forward, can I use the PTO (rear) end of my old buggered up main shaft as a drift/punch to remove it (as well as insert the new bearing)? Any thoughts or suggestions will be most appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Urbish
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1948 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Main/Clutch shaft needle bearing removal?

Postby Urbish » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:24 am

It drives out toward the rear of the case. I used a cheap Harbor Freight bearing/seal driver to remove and replace mine.

EugeneFromMichigan
Zip Code: 48357

Postby EugeneFromMichigan » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:23 am

Thanks! After posting the question I found Bill E. Bob's "How To Rebuild A Cub Transmission" article on the forum which also talks about this issue. I guess I need to learn how to search more efficiently before posting. My problem, however, is that there is so much great information on this site that I tend to get sidetracked and forget what I was originally looking for. Anyway, I appreciate the confirmation that the needle bearing comes out toward the rear.

Urbish
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1948 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Urbish » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:08 am

I used the same guide when I rebuilt my transmission a month ago. It is very helpful.